Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:04:49 AM

Author Topic: Spindle CW and CCW  (Read 4183 times)

Spindle CW and CCW
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
as far as I can tell my machine is wired up correctly for CW and CCW but I cant get it to do it.

no matter if I do an m3 or m4 its always cw.

are there any special setting I need to tweak in mach to get ccw to work?

cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle CW and CCW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
All depends on what you are using as a controller, ie Parallel port or some external controller, also will depend on your spindle hardware.
For example, for a VFD normally all that would be required is that you have the spindle relays enabled and the correct outputs selected for Fwd/Rev and that you have these outputs  hooked up correctly to your hardware.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »
ive got a sem servo motor controlled by a sprint drive board. ive got a pmdx-126 main board with ESS to connect to laptop

I just want to make sure im not missing a little tick box or something in mach

for example in ports and pins in relay control, are the m3 and m4 command output both suppose to be the same output? mine are both 1

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »
No, they would need to be different or rather most likely they would, all depends on your hardware.
For example if the drive accepted Step/Dir signals then you would not need any relays, if it is 0-10v command drive then you will also need a Fwd and Rev signal (thats the relay outputs usually).

You say you have a servo and a sprint drive board. I am not familiar with that board, what signals does it take? Do you have a link to info on it?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
err its step/dir

I don't have a link to the drive card sorry.

but it gets signal from a v4 spindle board.

so it goes ESS to pmdx126 to V4 spindle board to sprint drive card to servo motor

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »
not sure it is really step/dir as such, think the PMDX or V4 (whatever that is) will convert the step pulses to 0-10v for the drive.
It will depend what Fwd and Rev signals your drive accepts as to how it will do the Fwd/Rev. It may not even be capable of doing Fwd/Rev, some spindle control drives can only do one direction, for example the Control Techniques Mentor drives come in 2 or 4 quadrent models, the 2 quadrent will not reverse direction, that may be your issue.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
Is it one of these?
http://www.sprint-electric.com/products/400-800-1200

If it is look at the line just before the At a Glance and Tech Highlights, it says
"You can accurately control your DC motor in one direction of rotation with these 1 Quadrant controllers"

Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 02:24:57 AM »
yes ive got the 1200 version

so it might not be possible :(

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 04:23:16 AM »
Only way would would be to have contactors to reverse the polarity, you would have to be careful though so that they were only swapped when the spindle was stopped and likely also the drive disabled, not doing so may blow the drive.

Hood