Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:56:01 PM

Author Topic: Finding center of part using a axis  (Read 3986 times)

Finding center of part using a axis
« on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »
I am trying to find out how I would be able to find the center of a square in a round part on the rotary table while staying at Y0.0. I am cutting a cylinder and have square holes in it that I am needing to cut angles on them but need to know where the center is of the tables rotation for the square. Thanks for the replies. Hope this hasn't been asked a hundred times. Done a search but did not find answer.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Finding center of part using a axis
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:29:39 AM »
There a number of ways to find one location to another.
Using Machine Coordinates along with creating different Work Offsets to keep track of touched off / probed
points can give you the information to figure where the square is in relation to the cylinder.

If the part drawn is correctly you could always use CAD.

Check out the Wizard section for a Wizard that records points.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
I am cutting 2 stroke cylinder sleeves. I have to cut 6 sleeves (cylinders) with the mill in tram and then angle the milling head 50 degrees to cut the bevels on some of the ports cut into the cylinder and need a way to find the edges of the ports again. So I can write a program to cut them. I looked in wizards and I can only see that it will do X,Y,Z. Sorry I a new and just getting into CNC. Is there another screen set that may do that? Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
Is there a code I can enter that will cause it to find the edges of the axis that I need? I don't care to manually do it. Again sorry I am new to this.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »
Do you understand how to use / code for Work Offsets?
The reason I ask is that you want to combine and automate a  bunch of operations.
There is no single code, magic button or screen set that will do that.

There are probing routines that can do a lot for helping to setup a job or can be used to find information
for manual programing. What or how you  use that information is different story.

FWIW below....
Machine is Homed and based on G54, do one operation, the next requires requires probing to find a location,
so when done with the first operation go home. Now use another Work offset , say G55 ( should not have any offsets ), do the probing and  setup required  and create the G55 Work offset for the second opertation. If duplicate operations are to be done with just a change in direction you can use  a G52 for them. Then home the machine, cancel the G52 and go back to using G54.  Just one way ....all depends on how you code it,,,,how your setup , etc.

No magic but all requires understanding of what and why YOU are doing something.

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
So if I take this right. You have already cut the ports square and you need to find the edge of one of the ports again ?  Simply go back and touch off manually with a piece of paper.  Creep over to the edge of the port and hold a piece of paper between the bit and the port edge. Keep creaping over while sliding the paper back and forth until you feel the paper drag against the bit and port edge. NOW set the dro to the value that was used to cut the port edge.  Easy Peasy.

OR if you had a probe you could simply touch off on the port edge using the A axis as the pivot.  I do this all the time building rotary couplers where there are ports stationed along the X axis AND around the A axis.  I use a probe to find the Center of the Port that is the POO (point of Origin).

Are you cutting the sleeves one at a time OR have you placed all 6 in the A axis and do them all at one shot ?  I was doing this in the 70's on a Bridgeport and an indexer.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:06:42 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
Yes. I am cutting all 6 sleeves in tram one at a time then have to angle the mill head 50* to recut the ports and need to find the center of the port.Been trying to do research and G31 will not work with the rotating axis. Still trying to get motors set up on conversion. Been hand cutting them with rotary table and it sucks. Thanks for the replies.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
Who said the G31 will not work with the A rotated axis??  Sure it will.

(;-) TP

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »
On page 10-20 of the mach3 manual,  it states "it will be an error if any rotational axis is commanded to move"  So is that what I would use with my probe? I will be insulating my rotary table so it can use the "edge finder" feature of mach3. Am i just reading it wrong? If so this answers my question. I have found several sample codes that I can copy and save just change the axis. Thanks again for all the replies. I apologize i am new to all of this. Can't wait to get all the stuff here so I can hook it up!!! 

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »
G31 with A axis works fine It will even include A in the points file if you needed it.

The manual has been wrong for many years.

Just a thought, (;-) TP