Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:53:12 AM

Author Topic: Stand alone/dual set up or grouped in one ?  (Read 3400 times)

Stand alone/dual set up or grouped in one ?
« on: April 17, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
Hi all,
I’m a new guy in this group and this is my first post.
Excuse me for not searching to long in the data base for this coming question <:0))

Can some one confirm me if it is better to run Window,Mach3 and a Cad/Cam software on a stand alone separate computer and have a second one with all the software & connections you have/like to work with ??
I was told for a given type of configuration / tower set up, the “dual” set up permits Mach3 to run better / smother / faster ?
Has any one done / knows if this is /can be true or fiction ??

Thanks
Robert M

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Stand alone/dual set up or grouped in one ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »
Hey Robert,
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I have a dedicated PC for Mach, nothing else except windows. This is the PC that has the parallel port connections that go to my breakout board, push buttons, mpg,etc.  I have added Screenhunter to it with no sign of trouble. I do everthing else on another PC. E-mail, surfing the web, drawing, accounting, etc. I have seen PCs with Mach and everything else, cad, cam, e-mail, drawing programs, etc. that ran just fine but it is not recommended. I feel good about the setup and peace of mind means a lot.

Hope this helps
Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:18:26 PM »
Bonjour Brett,

This is exactly what I wanted to read. Is it best to run Mach3 on a stand alone?
You’re telling me that your set up & way is for peace of mind !
But just another question out of this, where I lacked clarity;
 Why aside of the risk and other bugs & viruses ?
 Does it make it better, faster & more efficient… ?
Or just safer ?!!

Thanks,
Robert

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
Hello Robert,

Chaoticone is correct. Usually we recommend doing a clean install of xp and installing just mach if possible. There are lots of programs that can interfere with mach's timing and give all kinds of headaches that are tough to track down. The mach computer doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. Anything over 1.3ghz or so should be fine with a minimum of 256megs (512 is my personal min) and a hard drive. This class of computer can be had for $300 or less and will provide a good mach user experience.

Chad