Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:31:06 PM

Author Topic: Lathe Tool Table tip radius/direction question.  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Tool Table tip radius/direction question.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
Don't know if this is normal practice or not but what I usually do is on the first part I set a X Wear offset of just greater than the insert rad, usually 0.5mm (0.4mm rad). I will then always have the Optional Stop before the part off op. I will measure the part and see how close it is then reduce the wear offset to suit and rerun the finish, usually get the first part in spec that way. In fact most of my work is one offs so I really need to do that if it is a fairly  tight tolerance  part, if it is not quite so pernickity then I don't bother with the wear offset and it will usually be within +/- 0.02mm anyway.

Hood
BTW when I say greater it is actually a negative value in Machs wear offset, say for example the tool is at X5 and I set a wear offset of -0.5mm then Mach will think the tool is at 4.5mm and thus the part will come out larger than intended.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:15:27 PM by Hood »
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
Hmmm, gotta study that...sounds like a good plan!
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 08:34:20 PM »
Aways better to be able to remove some. Once cut you can't add material to the piece.

Hood,
Your the boss, owner, and operator so normal is whatever you want to do. ;)
If one worked in some manufacturing place there would be some rules that one would need to abide by.

FWIW,

Have used the wear and it's easier than say creating another tool ( for whatever reason ).
I just use the tool table with the offsets mostly.

Also save the tool table to a file and keep a hard copy.  From the file I maintain a spread sheet of the tools.

Note about the X offset in my spread sheet:
- Decrease the X offset if the cut diameter is larger than wanted.
- Thread tool insert allowance is 0.0035 ....they all vary a llittle and none of the sharp pointed ones have a "0"   radius, SO,  set the tool off the stock by allowance or use wear offset to adjust. AND remember it's radii values.Ok dummy! ::)
 ....the OK dummy remark is me / my reminder ( ..... just can't seem to remember what to do with them numbers
and get it backwards !)  :)

RICH
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:36:20 PM by RICH »
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
Always better to be able to remove some. Once cut you can't add material to the piece.

- Decrease the X offset if the cut diameter is larger than wanted.
- Thread tool insert allowance is 0.0035 ....they all vary a llittle and none of the sharp pointed ones have a "0"   radius, SO,  set the tool off the stock by allowance or use wear offset to adjust. AND remember it's radii values.
Thar be some pearls methinks!
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.