Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:58:40 AM

Author Topic: Correct Mach settings for Smooth Stepper ??  (Read 23669 times)

Correct Mach settings for Smooth Stepper ??
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »
Hi Folks,

I've just received a new router from China and on the face of it its a nice solid machine.  I have got it setup to the extent where i can move it around and start the spindle (with toggle or mdi) BUT no matter what i try I cannot get mach to actually control the spindle speed, i send an M3 s1000 (for example) out and it just ramps upto max speed (well i stop it well in advance).
So they set the machine up and tested it and actually videoed it running with speed control so i'm sure its wired correctly I just cant get my head around the mach settings to get it operating correctly.  I was a mach user years ago on a lathe but i was given a complete xml with the machine so i didnt really have to learn how to do it..

I have traced my wires out between the c25 and the speed control board and sketched them below, can someone help me to assign the correct outputs/inputs for mach to allow full speed control in mach.

Thanks in advance..  J

[/URL][/img]
Re: Correct Mach settings for Smooth Stepper ??
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Well to add insult to injury I also cannot carry out any mdi XY or Z move, instead nothing happens then i get " the ethernet smoothstepper ran out of data . . etc etc etc" .  I have the controller freq set to 1kHz on the ESS dialog setup page.

Is there any chance this is related to my spindle problems?

Just for the record it will happily jog in all axis and home fine and soft limits all work....

J
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:28 AM »
ok so this morning i downloaded the latest copy of mach (mine was an old one), copied across my lic file, re-created my .xml and now I have a working mdi for xyz, result...   ;D

BUT still no life in the spindle..  >:( .Although now when i mdi or toggle spindle the RPM window actually registers a value now whereas it was always blank.

Ive been through my mototr outputs again for spindle and i'm sure thats right, my only query is what should be in output signals......based on my sketch below what should i have in output signals against output 1 ? I have tried all sorts of permitations now...

I have attached my .xml if anyone would take a look i would be very grateful... ???
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »
im guessing my problem is on the output signals page... I'm really unsure what to to set to the #outputs and do I need an enable also???

anyone?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
Ok in the attempt that someone is reading this I have attached my mach screen shots of outputs:

Interestingly on the motor outputs if i use step & dir ports to 2 (which i believe they should be), all i get are relays clicking but no actual spindle movement.  If I make both of these ports 1 then the spindle jumps into life but goes straight to max revs, regardless of m03 command..

J... ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:55:35 PM by jq_quint »
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »
Greetings jq_quint,
  Till more experienced help comes along, have you looked through the Configuration Manual ?
Here is a clip.
It give a great description of the various spindle set-up procedures.
Hope this helps a bit.
Regards,
Russ
 :)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
I would have thought the company that made the router would have provided you with a working Mach 3 profile. Though, with much of the stuff from China I have seen people buy your lucky to get something that works properly.

First take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/Document/Warp9/Installing_and_Configuring_the_Ethernet_SmoothStepper.pdf
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:39 AM »
Russ,

Thanks for the screen shot.  I think I've tried that suggestion, I used pin 16 (which goes from the ess to the pwm pin in the controller) then used 0 as dir instead of 17 as shown in my screen shots.  In this instance though what would I set the output signals page to??

Jeff,
Thanks for the link, I've actually read this but my problem is translating my pin outs into Mach, like I said to russ I'm struggling to understand what I set the output signals to.
With ref to chinese machines, well I can't comment this seems z nice piece of kit, and as its a hobby machine there will be no heavy production etc.  I have been asking them for the .xml but something is getting lost in translation..

I guess I was hoping someone would be able to translate my basic circuit diagram above into Mach outputs for me??

Getting a bit desperate now.....
J

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:56:20 AM »
Jeff,

One thing I will try tonight is to download all the latest drivers for Mach and the ess.  Although if something was way out my other drives would work would they?