Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:12:40 PM

Author Topic: Homing Issues and Spindle Ramp up time  (Read 2958 times)

Homing Issues and Spindle Ramp up time
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »
Hello, I'm new to using Mach 3, I have it interfaced with my machine and most of it running as it should but I am having massive issues with homing and the spindle ramp up time... Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
When I try to "ref all home' or 'ref z', 'ref x', etc. (doesn't matter which axis) i get the same error in that when it hits the combined limit/home switch Mach stops and says "external e stop requested". This means I have to reset and manually jog it off the limit switch and making it so it pretty much impossible to home the machine reliably.  ???
My limit switches are also the home switches and are hooked up to pin (10) for Z++, X++ and Y++. A++ is separate pin (11) and the machine E-stop is separate pin (15). I'm using an ESS smooth stepper and G540 bob and for the life of me can't work out why this is happening... I have adjusted the debounce with no success and I have checked the diagnostics tab and the switches are triggering like they should. I have also searched this issue but I can't find any solution that works for me and it was working ok (only by homing one axis at a time, the ref all home doesn't seem to work at all) the first couple of times i turned the machine on but now none of them work.  >:(

My second issue is the spindle (PWM controlled) takes about 3 minutes to ramp up to any decent speed, I can't work out why this is taking so long either but I have checked the average voltage on the output and it seems like it is the PWM signal that is very slow to ramp up rather than within the spindle hardware. I've been looking through the config settings and I can't find where you can adjust the speed that Mach ramps up the pwm output?
Any ideas how i can fix either of these? I would love any help that can be provided!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Homing Issues and Spindle Ramp up time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
Have you set a filter value in the ESS Config? The Debounce Interval in Mach itself is not looked at by the ESS.
Note it is not like in Mach where 2000 would be a first try, something low should help around about maybe 3. Go too high (10 or 15) and you will get a bad delay.

Never used PWM but Greg describes the setup here
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,9523.msg58400.html#msg58400

Hood
Re: Homing Issues and Spindle Ramp up time
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »
Thank you Hood!

That spindle link was very usefull, I found that I need to increase the steps per rev to approx 6000 to get some meaningfull acceleration out of the spindle vfd. The speed control isn't directly linear to the vfd but it's close enough I can sort that when I write the g-code.

I also seem to have fixed the homing issue, I move back to ESS v10r2d1d and now the homing seems to be working correctly?! Not sure why but I'm going to keep using this version for now. I hope this helps other noobs resolve their issues!  ;D