Hello Guest it is November 19, 2019, 11:14:49 PM

Author Topic: G-Code scaling program, mm to Inches and back  (Read 87722 times)

Re: G-Code scaling program, mm to Inches and back
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
Many thankyou's, without people like your good self helping us less in the know lot i think the world would stop spinning. I tried what you suggested and whalla its like magic!!!
Best regards
Greg

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,003 8,003
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
I am pleased that you got it sorted Greg.  ;)

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:38 AM »
Hi all, i am new to mach 3 & am trying to work out how to size in the program. i am wanting to cut out freestanding names in 18mm thick mdf the name is Justine & i am wanting the J to measure 20cm high any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Paula

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,003 8,003
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
Hi Paula,

Welcome to the forum.

Design your text (Justine) in CAD/CAM to your chosen dimension (200mm high for the J) then create the Gcode, using an outside toolpath (using the CAD/CAM’s Mach3 post processor). Load the created Gcode into Mach3 then check the dimension is correct (program limits in Toolpath screen).
If the dimension not correct, then adjust the Mach3 Scale DRO’s to correct the situation.

Just as an example the attached Gcode (created from Vectric) is of a 200mm high letter ‘J’which would be cut 18mm deep in 6 passes using a ¼ inch diameter cutter. If we wanted to cut it approx. double the size then within Mach3 change both the X and Y axis Scale DRO’s from +1.0000 to +2.0000. If we wanted to cut it approx. half the size, then change both the X and Y axis Scale DRO’s to +0.5000. Basically the letter ‘J’ can be scaled to almost any size (or aspect ratio) using this technique.
Please note that above I have used the term ‘approx.’ because although Mach scales the toolpath exactly - if we are still using the same ¼ inch diameter cutter (which is obviously not scaled) then with an outline toolpath this will make a difference to the actual finished size.

(There are other methods of doing this within Mach3 but this is the method I use).

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:29:46 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
Hi Tweakie, Thanks for the reply, i am creating &  editing my names in publisher, then i save them on a usb, then choose it as a gcode.
would i still have to get cad or cam software? i am only wanting to create children's  freestanding names & to my knowledge cad/cam is a very technical program. i am no rocket scientist & have very basic computer skills. Needing J in (Justin) as 200mm then (ustin) in lower keys in 100mm.   
Regards Paula.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,003 8,003
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:54 AM »
Hi Paula,

If you have alternatives (such as Publisher) to create your text then that is just fine but creating the Gcode requires some sort of CAM software. The free version of LazyCam (supplied with Mach3) works quite well and this should suffice for creating your Gcode. (see Members Documents for LazyCam manual).

Once you have mastered the technique, trust me, it will all seem just so simple but initially there is quite a lot for you to learn – it’s not rocket science but it may seem a bit tough at first.

Tweakie.
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2016, 12:41:50 AM »
Hi, I have created my PCB board with EagleCad software but I can not get it to upload onto the LazyCam that came with the March3 Rev2. The Cam processor in the EagleCad  generate files that are not seen by LazyCam.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,003 8,003
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »
You need to do a web search but there are a number of utilities (many are free) which will convert the Eagle CAD files to Mach3 compatible Gcode.
These are just a couple off the top of the pile…

http://pcbgcode.org/
http://rapid-pcb.com/

Tweakie.
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »
hello everyone pls i need everybody's help. i want to build my own CNC machine (industrial one) pls i need the list of the mechanical, electronic and the software(best one) to use.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,003 8,003
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
hello everyone pls i need everybody's help. i want to build my own CNC machine (industrial one) pls i need the list of the mechanical, electronic and the software(best one) to use.

How about Joe's Evo  http://joescnc.com/  all the work has been done you just follow the plans.

Tweakie.