Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:18:04 AM

Author Topic: Losing zero reference while cutting  (Read 14273 times)

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
Losing zero reference while cutting
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Can some one tell me why i keep losing zero reference while cutting.  I zero my system then while cutting a various pionts i lose zero and Mach3 starts cutting in the wrong place.  I just set up Mach3 on a small CNC router have i set something up wrong?

Scott

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Losing zero reference while cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:04:26 AM »
You say "cutting in the wrong place" - could you be more specific, where abouts is it cutting in the wrong place ??
A picture of the problem would be good.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
While cutting at what seems to be random times i lose reference to my zero location and my CNC cuts in totally the wrong place.  When i stop the unit and do a GOTO zero command it returns to totally the wrong place.  It does this at random times while i cut, and is just so frustrating because i don't know where to look for a solution.

Scott

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:00:55 AM »
You are still not giving me much information to go on.  :-\

Try reducing your Velocity and Acceleration settings (in Motor Tuning) by 50% then save the changes for each axis. See if this solves the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
I already tried that, i though that was also the problem but it still does the same thing.  I will reduce it some more and see if it helps.
Scott

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
Tweakie ... what information would be helpful for you to see so i can get it to you?
Scott

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
Hi Scott,

I am sorry that did not resolve the problem. A few questions for you...

Which axis is going wrong and in which direction ?
How much is it wrong (approx.) ?
Do the Mach3 DRO's show the correct position ?
Does the machine make any unusual noise when the error occurs ?
Have you thoroughly checked all mechanical parts, in particular for loose couplings / grub screws etc. ?

Posting a picture of the work, showing the problem, would be helpful (use Additional Options)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »
Which axis is going wrong and in which direction ? Ans: both x and y forsure, but z i did not pay that much detail to.[/color]
How much is it wrong (approx.) ?  Ans: For example i was cutting a profile that is 7 ich long when it went bad i lost 4 inch in x and 2 inches in y.
Do the Mach3 DRO's show the correct position ?  Ans: The DRO i belive are showing up properly but zer in x, y is shifted.  Note z might be also but i deed not note it.
Does the machine make any unusual noise when the error occurs ? No unusual noice
Have you thoroughly checked all mechanical parts, in particular for loose couplings / grub screws etc. ?  Ans: This i did not do, I did however manualy turn each axis by hand full strok to see if i had any binding and did not notice any on any axis.

Posting a picture of the work, showing the problem, would be helpful (use Additional Options)  Ans: I will do this as soon as i get to office.  Right now i beeter keep my wife happy so i wont get this this till Monday!

Note:  This mill i have had for 5 years its a small panther-210 and has work flawlessly for all this time.  I did however switch it to a new computer that was a 64 bit machine and i loaded 32 bit version of windows 7 on it.  Would this have any issues that you would know of?  Is it possible that i have a bad parallel port on this machine?  The CPU is a Dell

Scott

Scott

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »
Hi Scott,

From what you describe it sounds like the problem may all be down to the PC.
Run the DriverTest.exe (Mach3 folder) and see what results you get.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I will do that this morning first thing  ... FYI I want to thank you for being so helpful and patience!

Scott