Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:00:37 PM

Author Topic: how to adjust tool cutting depth in mid program  (Read 2134 times)

how to adjust tool cutting depth in mid program
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
Sometimes, my job has some skin left, which results from slight variations in my sacrificial board.  I could go into the Cam program and change the depth, but this then becomes a permanent change.
What do experienced users do when one need to go a bit deeper into the stock during a specific operation in a series of operations?
thanks
tony
Re: how to adjust tool cutting depth in mid program
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
Let's say you want to go .020" deeper: With your Z axis sitting at zero, click in the Z-axis DRO and type .020" and press return.  The next run will be .020" deeper, yes?  That's the way my simple mind thinks anyway!:)

(By the way I'm not experienced but I have faced the same issue.)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »
If I understand you correctly, I enter the amount of "additional depth" in the Z dro, press "return" and  the tool will permanently go  lower by that amount.  I will try it.
thanks
tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:41:27 AM »
You would need to enter +0.02 into the Z DRO if you wanted to make it go lower, remember you can only do that when the code is stopped.
The DROs can be used to add, divide, multipoly and subtract as well as just entering values, so for example you can do as above and add to the value already there or if you want to subtract you need to add a negative value, ie + - 0.02 would subtract it to multiply just use the * and to divide use /

Hood