Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:27:23 PM

Author Topic: Spindle speed on my lathe  (Read 2856 times)

Spindle speed on my lathe
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »
I am trying to get spindle speed to appear in the S True DRO in Mach3. For a sensor I am using an inductive proximity sensor which I think is type NPN (although I am not sure what that means).  With the controller I am using, the signal for this sensor goes into a Gecko board and then to pin 13 on the parallel port.  In Mach3, Pins and Ports, Input Signals, I have enabled Index, port #1, pin 13, and checked off active low.  Turning on the spindle and handholding the sensor I get no reading in Mach3, but the light is flashing at the base of the sensor indicating it is active.  The only thing I can think of is that no signal is getting through from the sensor but I am not sure how I would check this.

Of course it could be something different all togeather.

All suggestions, pointers and ideas appreciated.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:31:29 AM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
Re: Spindle speed on my lathe
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
Well I had my VFD hooked up to my controller but I could get no movement on the spindle through Mach3, so I put everything back to manual control of the spindle through the VFD so I could just focus on spindle speed.

I checked the diagnostic screen, nothing flashes.  In port and pins, inputs, limit - if I leave unchecked the active low the index light in the diagnostic screen is on.  If I check active low the index light in the diagnostic screen does not come on.  However in both cases nothing in the diagnostic screen flashes with the spindle turning and the light at the base of the sensor flashing.

I also did this with a wizard running as I thought maybe the readout would not activate unless a program was running. Nothing.

Thanks for the google link.  I will see if there are any hints there I can use.  In the meantime all thoughts appreciated.

Dennis
Re: Spindle speed on my lathe
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »
More of what I have tried.  In ports and pins, motor output, spindle, I enabled and set step pin to 1 and direction pin to 13.
Turned the spindle on at the VFD.  Still no read out at the S True DRO. When I click on the spindle button at the bottom of the screen the DRO counts down from a number I entered in the S DRO (which would not do anything as I am controlling the spindle speed from the VFD).

The spindle sensor I am using is putting out something.  Is there a way I can unplug the parallel port cable at the computer and see if a signal is coming in on pin 13?

I have tried all possible combinations of active low - emulated settings in ports and pins, input signals, limit that are possible.  So maybe no signal is getting through to the computer or the signal is of a type that is not recognizable.

Dennis