Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:36:43 AM

Author Topic: Spindle setup problems  (Read 4807 times)

Spindle setup problems
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »
I have encountered a problem incorporating a SP4DC spindle control card into my cnc lathe project.

equipment used
SP4DC spindle controller    manual  http://www.diycnc.co.uk/spindleV4.pdf  
Breakout board UIM2901-5a  manual   http://www.robocutters.co.uk/uim2901.pdf  
Stepper drive Leadshine AM882    manual  http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/AM882m.pdf  )

I chose this bob initially as I thought it would control my lathe spindle. Unfortunately upon closer inspection I noticed that it only had one relay so it could only do fwd/stop and I require both forward and reverse. Hence the need for the SP4DC board. I have wired it as shown in the attached file

The good news is I can get both the spindle and the stepper motors to work independently. The problem is I can't get the steppers to work when the spindle board is connected. I am not sure if the conflict is to do with the software settings or the wiring. From the bob manual (although there are some typos)

The A Axis pins are    STEP  9    DIR   8   ENA  14

The spindle motor settings I have used  are     Output #1 (ccw)  8        Output # 2  (cw)   14    and   Enable    14

which means there are two outputs using pin 14   !!!!!

When wired as shown and the enable is activated the voltage at  ENA is only   3v   and the AM882 drive requires   3.5v
(when the drive has the correct enable voltage the power light flashes)

Question 1   My electrical knowledge is very  limited. Can anyone see any wiring or setup errors here?

When this didn't work my conclusion was that it did not like two outputs on the same pin. So I thought of using pin 1 to control the run signal but this also proved to be unsuccessful. Mainly I think due to my lack of electrical knowledge. Pin 1 has two connectors P1E and P1C  . My assumed layout is shown on the sketch. (I am also assuming that the 5v supply for P1C is provided internally on the bob) so all I do is connect run to P1C and GND  to P1E.

I have shorted the two right hand pins of both JP7/JP8 to disable PWM output and hence enable  the terminals  P1c and P1E

I have tried to control this output using  Output  #2  (cw)    enabled      port 1        pin 1      active high

but am showing no voltage across terminals when I try to start spindle.

Question 2    Can anyone make any sense of my wiring or logic on how to control the run signal using Pin 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers George

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:31:19 PM by BIGWING »
Re: Spindle setup problems
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
I have tried to add a scanned image of my wiring diagram. I clicked on add image
put the path between the two markers. The file size is 940kb Is that too big?

can anyone advise
Re: Spindle setup problems
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
hopefully here it is

george