Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:26:46 PM

Author Topic: Calibrating my MPG  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Calibrating my MPG
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »
Hello All,
     I have been playing with my MPG today just to test some things. I have a few questions I hope some one can shed some light on. I use it in step/velocity mode. I can get the X and Y axis tuned so that one click = .001", however, one click in the Z is only moving it .0001". I suspect it has to do with my motor tuning. My X and Y are tuned to 90 IPM and my Z is only at 8 IPM. Almost 10%. I also don't understand why I can't get it tuned so that when I turn the MPG fast while moving the X or Y it only moves at 30 IPM, about 33% of tuned rapdis. I can get the MPG to move the axis at 90 IPM (100%) but then the distance per step is about .003" I have it tuned so that it works well enough for all practial purposes, I was just wondering if I'm missing something.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

Re: Calibrating my MPG
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:06:02 PM »
Have you run the setup you have shown above? count detent seems pretty big for one click and also your Max speed seems rather low, or atleast it seems that way from what I recall of mine.
 All three of my axis are pretty similar in setup so cant really say if having different setups per axis would affect it.

Hood

Hood

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »
Oh forgot to say I think the last part of the calibration, ie the transition setting is no longer used, so dont think there is any point in calculating it.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:31:40 PM »
Thanks Hood,
    I have ran the cal and had to tweak it to make the MPG useable. Here is a screen shot after cal. Note that the readings on the DROs are one click of the MPG. At these settings, I can move the axis at rapid with the MPG.

Brett

Hood

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
Detent size looks correct for the way the wizard sets it but you can put what you want in there if it works out better for you. The max speed still looks low, I am sure mine is up in the 1000's maybe I can just crank faster than you, and before you come out with a smart comment I said CRANK :D

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:44:17 PM »
LOL Hood, I bet you can crank faster than me, you have had lots of practice I'm sure. ;) I have changed the settings in ports and pins. Either one effects the other. I'm at a loss at this point as to what to try next. It's not that big of deal, I'd just like to get it right.

Did you get the encoders talking?

Brett

Hood

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:53:42 PM »
nope not yet, never got a chance to scope the pins today as I am busy doing Alu welding on a boat and my Mig has decided to go t**s up. Should have the oscillator tomorrow so hopefully that will cure the problem but the wleder is a more pressing problem as the boat is going down the slip in a few days.
Hood