Hello Guest it is July 18, 2019, 03:28:49 AM

Author Topic: super-simple Mach3 tutorial for dummies  (Read 3802 times)

super-simple Mach3 tutorial for dummies
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
I'd like to find a super-simple Mach3 tutorial for dummies.

For example, I'd like to cut a square. I'd like to cut a circle or oval. Did I mention cut a 6" inch straight line? Does anyone have any tutorial suggestions for writing my own code? (book, video, whatever?)

Thanks. ???
Re: super-simple Mach3 tutorial for dummies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:51:55 AM »
Hi Mihaly:

Welcome to Mach3 forum, and CNC machining.

There is no "super-simple tutorial for CNC machining. However, many of the basic moves are simple G-codes. For instance the code G0 X1 tells the control to move the X axis 1 unit in the positive direction at the machine "Rapid" rate. The code G1 X1 F10 tells the control to move the X axis 1 unit at the machine feedrate of 10 units per minute. The measure of unit can be Metric, or Imperial (Inch).  The unit of Metric or Inch also has a G-code; G20 is Imperial (inch unit), and
G21 is Metric unit of measure.

The layout of the machine is according to the Cartesian Coordinate System. X+ is to your right, X- direction is to your left, Y+ is the tool moving away from you, and Y-, the tool is moving towards you. Z is the Vertical axis; Z+ means for the spindle to move up, and
Z- means the spindle moves down. If you write commands in a sequence, the machine will move to each command position on
each line, one after another. If you write X4 Y3 on the same line, they will vector simultaneously to that point.

All of these machine motions are relative to the home position, which you set depending on the placement of the material on the machine.

A command G0 X0 Y0 Z.5 would tell the machine to move to the X home position, Y to the Y home position, and the Z axis (actually the end of the tool in the spindle) to .5 units above the Z home position.

The most comprehensive book to learn about CNC machining is by Peter Smid, CNC Programming Handbook. He explains the entire spectrum of CNC codes, which is lengthy. The third edition runs 539 pages. Amazon sells all of his books.

For simple tasks, like a bolt hole pattern, or a circular cutout, Mach3 has Wizards built in. The "Newfangled" wizards are excellent, although they are not free, the cost is very affordable, and you can do an amazing variety of machining tasks in minutes.

Use the Wizards, and look at the code, and become familiar with the methodology.

John

Offline RICH

•  7,341 7,341
    • View Profile
Re: super-simple Mach3 tutorial for dummies
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:53:18 AM »
I'd like to find a super-simple Mach3 tutorial for dummies.

I will echo the purchase and "study" of Peter Smid's, CNC Programming Handbook as one of the best references
you can have. Have a slow read of the first 100 pages or so.

For MACH3, read the entire manual, then study individual sections for items of interest. One needs to get the whole picture of what is involved
in CNC.

Programming and controlling are two different functions but are closely related.

NOTE:
THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS TO THE LEARNING OF CNC.

Enjoy the walk along the learning path.  ;)

RICH
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:57:40 AM by RICH »