Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:33:25 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Laser config  (Read 25549 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 Laser config
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 01:41:48 AM »
Hi Hydro,

I understand that with this pp file the Z axis will be static, but isn't there a distance to observe between the laser and the job to be done ?

The distance between the laser and the work relates to your 'focal length'. This distance is set so that the laser's focal point (smallest dot size) is flush with the surface of the work.

Pardon my ignorance but what feedrate in mm/sec equals F600 ?

F600 = 600 mm/min = 10 mm/sec

And regarding this PP file you sent me, is there anything else I need to do in Mach3 or Vectric or just use it as pp for the job ?

Just select it (within Vectric) as and when required to produce a laser related Gcode toolpath. Nothing else needs to be done except configuring Output#1 within Mach3 so it becomes your laser trigger.

I have read the PP manual from aspire but don't really understand it tbh.

I think that once you have 'hands-on' experience it will all become a lot more understandable.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
Finally got it run,

thank you very much Tweakie, without you I wouldn't have made it, very grateful indeed.

Will post some pics as soon as I upload them to pc.

One question though, I want to save Z axis height as a template is there a way to do it in mach 3 ?

Now that its focused I'd like to keep this height as default because there will be jobs done with different thickness where I'll adjust Z axis height to focus laser and I want to be able to always return it to default

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 02:19:44 AM »
Hi Hydro,

I am pleased to hear you have it all running.

Assuming you have home switches you can reference all home then apply the offset to position all axes to the desired position – the Mach3 manual has details of how this is achieved. http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Having said that, I find the easiest (and quickest) way is to make a mechanical template (the dimension between the Z axis and surface of the work) then just use this to set the focus with relation to different thicknesses of work.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
Hi Tweakie

I have managed to ref all home but that's not exactly what I meant as the Z axis seems to go to a pre established height. I would like to to make a mechanucal template but can't find no mention of it in the manual, can you please point me to it

Regarding the laser it seems it won't engrave properly on plywood but it works flawlessly on mahogany. I tried on plywood wivarious feedrate and stepover settings and on slower feedrate ie. about 5mm sec it engraves better but leaves blank spots with nothing engraved as on faster feedrate it kind of stutters on the engraving but seems to not be leaving blank spots, really strange. Same thing happened on pine wood, can it be because these are brighter woods ?

On mahogany its perfect even on feedrate of 1000 or more, check images

Does this mean that I can't use the laser to engrave on plywood ?

Regards

Hydro

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
It also engraves very well on mdf

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 01:32:25 AM »
Hi Hydro,

I think some materials just laser engrave better than others and you need to continue, as you are doing, finding what works and what does not work quite so well. Your MDF example is excellent - keep up the good work my friend.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
Hi Tweakie

thank you

Is it normal that the laser engraves badly on pine or plywood ?

Regards

Hydro

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »

Is it normal that the laser engraves badly on pine or plywood ?

No, not really but it depends on so many factors - laser power, feed-rate, moisture content of material, laser wavelength, etc., etc.

Tweakie.
PEACE