Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:31:42 PM

Author Topic: motors heating and chattering  (Read 4666 times)

motors heating and chattering
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:06:41 PM »
I am very new to this and am getting frustrated. I have a 4 axis gecko 540 with 4 stepper motors and a 48v power supply. I have downloaded the mach3 trial version and when I plug my motors in I cant get my Z axis to move at all and the other motors almost vibrate themselves right off the table when I use the keyboard to operate them. They also get hot and make noise while they are sitting idle.
This may not be the right place for this but can anyone help?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: motors heating and chattering
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:10:43 AM »
Although it may sound like a cop-out - honestly, this is sound advice...

You should consider reading the manuals - Gecko manual to fit the appropriate resistor to set motor current so they don't get too hot and also the setting of microsteps etc. and the Mach3 manual to set steps per unit, velocity and acceleration etc. in motor tuning.
All the information you need is there although I do appreciate that it is not necessarily that easy to understand at first read.

See how you get on, then come back if you have any specific questions and we will try to help.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
I have the same issue as Redcell, (my motors are not heating up though) but all I can get out of my steppers is a high pitched buzz. We've read the manual, gone step by step, just cannot figure out the secret. Is there a formula or ? That will get us on track?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
Hi Jmccann,

Welcome to the forum.

If you copy your .xml file (from the Mach3 folder) which has the same name as your profile (bottom right of Mach3 screen) – rename it to something unique (such as jmccann.xml) then attach it to your reply (using Additional Options...) I will take a look at your settings and see if I can spot a problem with your setup.

Tweakie.
PEACE