Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:55:36 AM

Author Topic: Different starting questions to equipment, etc.  (Read 3735 times)

Different starting questions to equipment, etc.
« on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
A few years ago I started to experiment on different prototypes, without really knowing Mach functioning and without the high consumption of money.

Stepper motor with proper force can be expensive, so started with various small from the printer, etc. here the problem was found to be the limited effect.

I then went on to DC-motor which I had many of, and made ​​various controllers based on my limited knowledge to Mach, which showed that the step signal from Mach is rapidly controlled to slowly stopping the stepper motor, which I had not taken into account in the construction of the control.

I decided then to make my own program to control of the prototype, which only made ​​me aware that I had made ​​it out of the wrong perception, have started without really thinking about what I wanted to do, so the gearing had wrong for had started with slow powerful dc motor, where I have wanted to divide up the force to more speed without thinking about the low RPM :( it is fast enough for my purposes, but not stable in accuracy and as a prototype. Good enough, in fact only spent time and very little money.

I am now thinking about making a proper control with step motor, where I need to know a few things that I hope there is someone who can help me with!

Thinking of a CNC 3 axle with connected to a fourth axle for use to own projects, so even though I would like to milling in iron, then I expect only that would relate to wood, plastic and soft iron (copper, brass and aluminum) but do not really know the rules for milling in various harder materials. So my questions are:

What types spinner is good for use in soft iron and which for hard?

What is the name of the different types of drills for soft and hard iron?

Assume that if I should milling in iron that I need constant cooling, but what about soft iron? If the piece is not too big?

Maybe silly question, but searching the web for information is like finding a needle in a haystack, so many useless information appears :(

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Different starting questions to equipment, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:09 AM »
Suggest that you go to one of the tooling websites, ie; Cleveland, Kennametal and also some of the metalworking suppliers, ie; J&l, Enco, MSC and
have a look at drills, mills, reamers, fly cutters, different tooling. You will find a lot of information on the tooling both basic and advanced and answers to your questions.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Machinerys Handbook, so useful that machinist toolboxes came with a cubby hole to hold it!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply, lives in Denmark so do not know many of those you mention, but asked in here since there is often a gap between the experience people have with things, rather than what the rules say and recommended by sellers!
New question, stepper motor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
Found what was recommended, thanks again!

Stepper motor is not what I have messed much with so is a bit in doubt about some older I have.

It is unipolar PM type from early nineties where it says on them 1.8V 4.8A/phases while each coil is only about 0.7 ohms, then shall the 1.8V only be seen as a minimum and 4.8A as maximum? So the voltage is set to the speed/torgue I want to use? or is it because I have not taken the peak voltage into account?

Sorry if I do not answer back quickly, but do not receive mail about replies in the thread, even if it is on  ???

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
With stepper motors it is common practice to exceed the rated voltage by up to 25 times (although there are certain limitations) but the rated current should never be exceeded. There is some good information here http://www.geckodrive.com/support.html

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
Oh, that was a lot. Have read much different on the stepper, but not yet found anything that explains the driv voltage, sow will read it with great pleasure, I hope. thank you :)