Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:00:19 PM

Author Topic: Clock  (Read 15812 times)

Clock
« on: September 02, 2013, 07:16:43 AM »
Just wondering if any one has some DXF files for a clock of some sort?, just practicing using the newly built cnc router, might as well start with something usefull,, :D
Re: Clock
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »
I don't have any G code files to share, but can tell you what I did for a clock project. I searched the internet for wooden clocks, and found a site which featured free plans to build a wooden clock. The drawings were contained in a PDF file, which I used as a pattern (gleaning the gear tooth counts, diameter info from the drawings in the PDF). I then used a program called Wood Gears, which was only a $20 download at the time, to create the profile drawings for the various gears needed. Exported the drawings as HPGL plot files, opened them from LazyCAM, and created tool offsets in LazyCAM (then deleted the actual drawing). Then exported the G code generated to Mach3. And cut the various gears. The PDF file lacked some of the drawings (specifically, the Yoke piece for the Pendulum), so some creative drawing, cutting, and experimentation was necessary to produce the missing piece. After several months, I actually did succeed in building the clock. However, I learned that 1/4" plywood is a poor choice of material to use for constructing the gears. Because it WILL warp. And it doesn't take much warpage at all, for the gears to become unmeshed! I plan to try again, using some thicker material, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. As for the PDF file I mentioned, do a search for the Law Wooden Clock. The site is somewhere in the UK, and they do also sell clock plans which include the DXF files. Good luck with your project. And be patient, it won't happen overnight. But it is a good project to begin learning about your machine.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »
this what you wanting ?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
work in progress for my brother might be somethng you like still work in progress needs z levels setting for cutting out but will engrave everything at 1mm depth as file is atm