Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:41:28 PM

Author Topic: How to use a 4th axis on a 3 Axis system  (Read 2471 times)

How to use a 4th axis on a 3 Axis system
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:39:47 PM »
Hi there, just wondering if there is a way to use a 4th axis on a 3 axis system. My system is only setup to handle 3 axis. I would like to use a 4th axis. So is there anyway to do this. I thought that maybe I could use a single motion controller connected to a USB port. I use Mach 3 and use the parallel port to run the 3 axis'. So is it possible to run the 4th axis on the USB port at the same time I use the parallel port to run the x,y,z axis'? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.

Pat

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: How to use a 4th axis on a 3 Axis system
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:44:26 AM »
Hi Pat,

As far as I am aware that cannot be done.

Why not just configure your existing parallel port system to use the A axis and that would then be your 4th axis ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
Tweakie thanks for the reply. The reason I don't config my parallel port to use the A axis is that my controller isn't setup for a 4th axis. I was hoping to use a different controller for a 4th axis config to work with the parallel port. Thanks again for the reply.

Pat
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
If you add an unbuffered breakout board such as the one from Routout CNC you can use a pass-through for all the connections in current use to your existing BOB/controllers and divert the required, unused connections to an additional buffered BOB or straight to a buffered controller such as those offered by Routout CNC.
Alternatively add a second Parallel port card to the PC,
Regards,
Nick