Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:56:44 AM

Author Topic: New Guy; Questions About Controllers, Threading  (Read 2504 times)

New Guy; Questions About Controllers, Threading
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
I thought this was a typical FAQ area, but it looks like it's devoted to noob questions, so here I am. I hope this is the right subforum.

I am just about done making the parts to convert a mini-lathe to CNC. Now I have to think about software and electronics. I am hoping to get some solid advice. I know virtually nothing. I plan to use Mach 3 because virtually everyone recommends it.

First, people have suggested I go with ethernet because it allows for longer cables. I have seen folks recommending Smoothstepper controllers, but I have also seen people claiming there are issues with them. Are they a good choice?

Second, I definitely want to thread, but I have read about people having problems with threading. Can I expect to be able to do this with Mach 3?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New Guy; Questions About Controllers, Threading
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »
Hi Chips OTool,

Welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about lathes but I have been using Mach2 / Mach3 with a router & mill for 10 years now and I am convinced that it is the best choice.

The SmoothStepper does have it's problems but no more or less than any other external motion controller, in my opinion, so the decision is yours but I would recommend taking some time to read other posts on this forum (experience of others) before committing myself to any particular option.

Others have had excellent results with threading and there are many video's, here on the forum, to prove the point but you have to have your configuration set-up correctly and the Mach3 manual may be a good source of reference with regard to index pulse etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: New Guy; Questions About Controllers, Threading
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »
Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the information. I got the lathe going with a Kflop and Kstep, and I am trying out Mach3 to see if I can accomplish anything with it.