Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:33:10 PM

Author Topic: best intro software for very basic lettering to be cut on a 20x14cm machine.  (Read 2826 times)

Hi, ok so im past the part where i thought it was the"plug n play" world, but as some one who was computer illiterate not long ago, and a total newb to the world of cnc also, the last two months since purchasing the basics have been somewhat emotional, to say the least. but after taking basic advice, downloaded every manual in a pdf, and have read them till i eat, sleep, dream and wake thinking of it. am finally, understanding just a few of the basic concepts etc.
  i am a self taught hobby jeweler, lost wax method, who has designed and produced everything to date by hand. after seeing the capabilities of what cnc and computers could do, i wanted in. so i invested more than i could afford, then realized the software i was going to use would cost £13000 ! typical me doing

So, if i wanted to just say create basic shapes or lettering in wax on my mill, would artcam express or insignia suffice, or is there a cheaper way than insignia, express is more than within budget.

my OS is win8.1, licensed mach3, i use the Uc100 to connect to a little European made table top mill 200 x 140mm.

Any Advice would be kindly appreciated, mark 

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Hi Mark,

I have been using Mach3 for more than 10 years now and every time I read the manual or read things on the forum I learn something new. I don’t think you could be expected to learn it all at once so just take your time and progress one step at a time.  ;)

As you have found, good quality CAD/CAM software is possibly the greatest expenditure in the CNC business and although Artcam is probably the best for your jewellery work take a look at Vectric and see if any of their softwares could be of use to you.  http://www.vectric.com/

Tweakie.
PEACE
many thanks Tweakie, i will do.
hey,, very impressed with vectric, plus i bought v carve photo, which is great to use, and on a whole, a lot easier to navigate and design.than some other softwares, but as i learned , i would benefit from a number of different software packages. so , i bought the artcam express, its, ok and obviously gives different features etc, but when i went to save g code, because i didn't on the trial, or couldn't, i noticed that the post processor setting mach 2/3(mm)*(txt), was not listed .!
so ive trawled the forums, and still cant get a definitive way forward for my circumstances..
i work in MM not inches, and dont really want to reconfigure my machine?? if thats even possible. So please if any one has any advise on this, many thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
I think I would contact Artcam and ask them for a copy of their post-processor for Mach3, arcs (metric).
At least that way you are sure of getting the latest available PP.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
They are all ready in the post processor list, from Mach2 to Mach 3_4 including MM, Inches, arc and rotary post P
Express is the entry level, Insignia is directed to woodworkers/cabinet shops. Pro another step up but if your a jeweler you will need to look to ArtCam Jewelsmith which specializes to the jewelry industries & includes the gem library keyshot among other specialized jewellery tools
Gary
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:36:44 PM by GaryB »
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer
Onsrud & Custom CNC tooling Distributor

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com
One of the things I've always believed is that the P in PC means 'personal' and with software you may love one and hate another just because of the way you work.  I know there are a number of jewelry designers working in Rhino 3D and I used it for mechanical design for a long time. Truly excellent support through their user forum too, a lot like Mach 3.  There is Cam software that runs inside of Rhino available too.  I use CamBam for the cam side of things right now, quite a good value.  Also there is Meshcam that works with STL files to produce cutting files.  An inexpensive program like any of these can teach you enough to know what you really need for what you are trying to do, before spending big bucks.