Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:50:30 AM

Author Topic: Greetings@! New here and have question about compatibility  (Read 2851 times)

Greetings@! New here and have question about compatibility
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
Hello Forum!

My employer just returned from a trip to China where he does business often and came back with brochures for some equipment he's considering. The equipment, is as expected from China, "off-brand", Joy Wuhan King (http://www.kstcnc.com/). We're looking at a Plasma Cutter and CNC Router. Both support Gcode but would a specific post need to be written? They specify compatible software as Wentai Type 3, CNCCut & Ucancam. All of which I'm not familiar with which is concerning. I am though aware of Mach 3 and saw a screen capture about Mach 3 and Type 3 when looking around.

Link to each machine are here:
 (Plasma) http://www.kstcnc.com/showpro.asp?ArtID=101  ** Supported file types are G code, and Wentai type 3. Table size (working area) X-3000mm (10' approx.) x 1500mm (60" approx.)
(Router): http://www.kstcnc.com/showpro.asp?ArtID=119  ** Supported file types are Gcode, .u00, .mmg & .plt. Table size is x-2500mm (98" approx) x 1300mm (51" approx.) Z axis working area is 200mm (approx 8")

The bossman is asking my opinion and I'd like to give him an educated answer as best possible. I can see why he'd like the machines due to their low cost but I personally wouldn't go there. Maybe I'm just overly concerned but I like companies I can deal with when issues arise and parts are available.

So then, to the question: Will Mach 3 work for us? opinions?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hearing from you

Bryan

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Greetings@! New here and have question about compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »
Mach3 is a machine controller. Those machines will already have their own controller, typically either a DSP or another that I can't think of the name of.

If you wanted to use Mach3, you'd probably need some additional hardware and would need to change some wiring.

Also, it's very likely that the copy of Type3 they give you is a pirated version.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
the router is a copy or the same as the machine I have, the one I got needed a lot of money and time spent on it and is still not that good, the machine from them it might be ok but if you wont a plug in and go with a 100% back up buy from close to home. it will be 50 / 50 if that is a good machine but if you can fix what may be wrong it may or may not cost almost the same as a close to home machine. its a risk you need to put in your bosses hand`s.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »
Thank you both Blockhead and Ger21 for the responses. It appears I'm way off base here after thinking about Blockhead's response, so my apologies. You can see where I'm headed generally. Trying to make the most out of an unknown situation. I've never worked somewhere where an unknown machine just arrived and we were to make the best of it. Heck, for all I know, everything may go smooth as can be. But, the pessimist in me says otherwise.

I just want not to have multiple programming packages with multiple posts, etc. We already have a sheet metal programming package that for the time they've had it, is completely misused and misunderstood so I'd like to avoid adding another opportunity to complain about something they simply don't want to take time to understand. Advanced debugging so to speak.

Ger- Thanks for the advice. I too have  my concerns but you said it best; it's in the Bossman's hands ultimately. I'd just like to make the process a bit smoother if possible by looking at options and asking questions.

Have a great day Gentlemen
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
Anything purchased from China is a crap shoot at best if its going to work or not and for how long is another question. Most of us have been bitten by buying low cost chinese equipment and learned the hard way you get what you pay for. China CNC sellers are well know for pirate Mach 3 copies and service after the sale is mostly nonexsistant.  
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
To say I'm concerned is a understatement for sure! I think the "crap" in crap shoot is the key word here. As I stated before, I'm used to if not top notch equipment. at least known equipment that we can deal with. I think I'm going to share the thoughts of all that have answered here and advise he think about the negatives as well as the low cost as there are both to consider.

Thanks much!