Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:58:58 PM

Author Topic: Thunderbird 5 main engines help?  (Read 2789 times)

Thunderbird 5 main engines help?
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
Sorry for the tittle but I've always named the cnc's I'm working on, and I've named this little bad boy Thunderbird 5 :)

Its a Chinese made HY~TB5 5 axis engrave/mill, with 400x300x150mm machining window, manufactured by the "Nowforever" Company.

on the pc side of things......

I've got an old retired pc out of the loft because it had an onboard 25 pin printer port, loaded a new OS, OEM copy of Windows 2000 pro, installed Mach3 with new licence, run the Mach3 driver test  and the system checks out fine.

I've then hooked up to the machine and started my configuration, problem is I don't understand the Chinese in places, if you know what I mean!!! ???

The EOM claimed it runs on Mach3, and it clearly does, I have control of all 5 axis, in Program/MDI/Manual.

I've done a few test programs and the first problem I need to resolve is that the Y Axis is losing position from the mc DRO and the Mach3 DRO, I programmed a square and the DRO's hold true to the micron, unless I address a Z movement during the X and Y movement, this makes the machine DRO read incorrectly, its also losing mc DRO position in the Y only during G02, but not by much.

Has anyone else set one of these machines up with Mach3? the info with the machine has some of the mach3 data in terms of screen shots, but some screen shots of the set up are missing, namely some of the Input/output Signals?

Also the spindle is water cooled, do you guys add any rust inhibitors to the tank?

Many thanks, Phil.

Re: Thunderbird 5 main engines help?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:47 AM »
I don't have an answer for your DRO problems as I am very (old) new to CNC programming, however I remember form my Nephew's Factory, they used to use neat car anti-freeze in their Spindle Cooling Plants as this would work extremely well as a coolant and a rust inhibitor and would also act as  act as a dye indicating in detecting any leaks.

God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:46:43 AM »
I don't have an answer for your DRO problems as I am very (old) new to CNC programming, however I remember form my Nephew's Factory, they used to use neat car anti-freeze in their Spindle Cooling Plants as this would work extremely well as a coolant and a rust inhibitor and would also act as  act as a dye indicating in detecting any leaks.

Thanks Buggalugs, anti freeze sounds like a good plan, I machined spindles like this subcontracting at Westwings Airbearings, spent most the time on the grinding section, but never paid attention as to what the customer was running in the spindles, silly me lol

ok, back to reading a zillion pages to work out why the Y is losing position :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »
Try reducing the acceleration and velocity by 10% and see if that helps.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:17:50 AM »
Try reducing the acceleration and velocity by 10% and see if that helps.
Hood

Thank you Hood, sadly though it didn't solve the issue, however I've just run the same program 200 times, the mc DRO ended up 90mm out, but the part is correct and the physical position of the mc is correct to Mach3....so I'm just gonna ignore the mc DRO for now and crack on test machining :)

Thanks for the advice though :) Phil.