Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:00:37 PM

Author Topic: Encoder on Motor Settings  (Read 5029 times)

Encoder on Motor Settings
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
I am adding CUI encoders to my existing installation.  Currently there are no encoders installed.  It seems that there is no input for the encoder encoder settings.  After further searching the encoder CPR must be the same as the Mach3 - Motor Tuning and Setup - Steps Per setting. 
So If my current Steps Per setting = 800 then my encoder should be set to 200CPR (Encoder CPR = Steps Per divided by 4)?
Re: Encoder on Motor Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
Hello,

First, make sure that your encoders are 5-Volt Differential Quadrature encoders.

To find out the correct counts per rev, check the label on your encoders, or the specs on it's product webpage. Usually, on the label, they'll print something like 2.5k counts which means that you get 10k counts as it is a quadrature encoder.

If you're still unsure, you could always wire the encoder to the motion controller and rotate the rotor of your motor by one revolution to see how many counts it's sending to Mach.

NOTE: you can check the current encoder counts (or absolute position) from the DSPMC or HiCON Status window. You can find out how to access the status window from the Mach3 or Mach4 Software integration manual.

-Marc Lim
Vital System Inc.
Re: Encoder on Motor Settings
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Mark,

The encoder is working fine.  Verified on the DSPMC Status window.  I am using a AMT303 which is 5V, quadrature output.  Quadrature output resolution is settable from 96 - 1024.
On my current configuration I am using a stepper without encoder and will add a encoder to the back shaft of the motor. 
My Steps Per setting in the Motor Tuning and Setup is set to 800 (millimeters configuration).

What I am having trouble with is matching the encoder setting to the Steps Per setting.  Other automation equipment I have used in the past usually has a setting somewhere to input the encoder resolution.  I don"t see any resolution setting input.  I suspect that I have to match the encoder resolution to the Steps Per setting (800). 

So my question is basically how do you configure an encoder (on motor) to work with DSPMC and Mach3 (soon Mach4) if there is no encoder resolution input in Mach3 or the DSPMC plugin configuration page?