Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:57:49 PM

Author Topic: New person and CNC 3020 machine needs help!  (Read 1918 times)

New person and CNC 3020 machine needs help!
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
Hello Can you please help me. I've looked around and can't find anything in the forums. I just got a cnc 3020 machine and I'm using the trail version of Mach 3. After some problems I got all axis to work with the sample templates. My issue is how do i set it so that I can change the heights of wood?  For instance, I may want to cut on 1 inch thick wood or 3 inch or whatever. How can I change that so my bit is not running into the wood or better yet allowing the wood to get on the surface.

Thank you all in advance.

Offline B3030

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: New person and CNC 3020 machine needs help!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »
I would start by downloading the manual from the Artsoft website and looking in there.  And watch the tutorials.  Well worth the time.

That being said, you use the Page Up and Page Down keys on your computer keyboard to jog the tool down to the surface.  Put a thin piece of paper on the wood. Slowly jog the tool down (while sliding the paper back and forth) until the paper stops moving.  Then click on the Zero Z button on the Mach main screen.  The cutting depth is set by the G-code. 

I set that Z Zero every time I start a new job regardless of what size stock I'm cutting.  It's a good habit to get in to.

Mach3 has so many features you will still be discovering them a couple years after you start using it.

B3030