Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 09:39:17 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Advice  (Read 2261 times)

Offline laugeo

•  8 8
  • Why is there only one monopolies commission?
    • View Profile
Newbie Advice
« on: May 23, 2014, 03:10:04 AM »
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice.
I currently run my CNC router quite successfully with Mach3 as the interface and Aspire 4.0 as the source of design and G Code post processing. However, I've just purchased a small SIEG lathe that comes with (what seems to be) limited software for control of the machine and I would like some advice about suitable software for designing and post processing items to be turned on the lathe? I know a little about Mach3 turn but is there a Vectric product like Aspire but dedicated to turning? Thanks, Colin.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 05:18:12 AM »
Colin,
You can use Mach to control the lathe.
Generating Gcode for the lathe can be done manualy, with the help of the available wizards, programs such as LazyCam, New Fangled Solutions,
 or CAM software like Dolphin Lathe etc.

RICH 

Offline laugeo

•  8 8
  • Why is there only one monopolies commission?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:40:24 AM »
Thanks Rich,
Are you talking about Mach3 Turn or my normal Mach3?
I have done a lot of manual programming of lathes (years ago) but was hoping to find something as useful and intuitive as Aspire but specifically for turning. Something that might carry useful 'canned cycles' that calculate roughing and finishing based on the stock bar used and the finished shape, threading etc. Easy to design the component, easy to post process the tool-paths?
Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance here? Thanks, Colin.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:00:49 AM »
I was talking about Mach3 Turn. You may want consider use a modified screen for the lathe such as the one in the link below.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13548.msg88932.html#msg88932

Wizards can do general tasks on the fly and can be put togther to create code for a piece. Stand  alone software for the lathe to do more complex tasks  which involve designing a piece and generating the code require CAM. I don't know if Aspire has a lathe CAM. CAM programs such as
Dolphin Lathe, BobCad, etc can do what you want. All depends on how much you want to spend. YOU need to look at them and see what interface YOU like.

RICH

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:02:45 AM by RICH »