Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:46:54 PM

Author Topic: Re: Mach 4 and Galil  (Read 17548 times)

Re: Mach 4 and Galil
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »
Steve,
Many thanks.  So from your message I get the idea that when using external motion controller cards like the Galil, there will be little point in waiting to get Mach 4.  Mach 3 will be just as good for that setup?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Mach 4 and Galil
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
Mach 3 runs fine for me.  Once I got it all setup and quit messing with it, the combo is very stable.  Mach 4 has smoother motion and eventually will have more features.  For instance, Mach 4 has a version that has Fanuc Custom Macro B where Mach 3 will never have that.  But if you want a machine running now or yesterday, then Mach 3 is what I would use.  Simply because the Galil plugin for Mach 4 is still in development.

Steve
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
Steve,
Talking of plugins.
I have the latest Galil Smart Terminal software loaded and I see that there is a different Galil plugin for that.  However when I start Mach 3 with the Galil-ST plugin loaded I get an error message.  I do not get that with the non-ST plugin.  I can run Mach 3 with that plugin.  Can you confirm that the combination of the Galil ST software and the standard plugin will not jump up and bite me some day in the future.  Else is there a way of using the ST plugin.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
If you are running an Ethernet controller, then no Galil software is required and you use the regular Galil plugin (not Galil-st).  Smart Term can be installed and it will co-exists fine.  Only use Galil-st plugin if you are running an older bus based controller.

Steve
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 03:37:10 AM »
Steve,
Many thanks for your help.
Yes I am using an ethernet connection and everything seems fine with the standard plugin.
I am new to both the Galil controllers and Mach 3 so there is a lot to learn, but I am at least able to made chips now.  Although I am sure that there are many settings yet to be optimized.  I was a bit spoiled with my old Anilam system, it came totally setup and ready to go.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »
Hi Steve.

Is there any chance that mach4 could output position only and the galil use it's own LI (linear interpolation) mode? I have a program that does that, its for a big 3D foam machining center... and it runs so beautiful, the vector accel setting makes for  a beautiful dance of the axises as it rounds off the "accel corners".

regs, Francisco

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »
Francisco,

That is how the plugin works right now!  If you enable debug file logging, you will see LOTS of LI commands.  It will be no different for Mach 4.

Steve
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »
Hello Steve,

wondering how I could get the plugin for m4 for testing. I have heard some people are already using it.

regards,
Francisco
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 04:51:55 AM »
Francisco,

That is how the plugin works right now!  If you enable debug file logging, you will see LOTS of LI commands.  It will be no different for Mach 4.

Steve

But on other posts/threads you say that the galil gets sent the motion commands that were already profiled by mach. So I am imagining that the galil receives not only position but also time. Would that be correct?

regards,
F
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
Hello everyone,
Any news on the galil plugin for mach4?