Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:39:34 AM

Author Topic: 7x12 Mini-Lathe converted to CNC  (Read 11889 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: 7x12 Mini-Lathe converted to CNC
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:34:19 AM »
Jfong,
CNC lathes are fun and glad you got it up and running.

You may want to have a look at LazyTurn for doing profiles on the lathe.

Like you I have made a lot of holders for the small quick change. One to add to your to do list is a drill chuck holder
and attached shows one I use a lot.  A few comments about it:
- Drill / ream the arbor hole first and then square up the stock based on the arbor and machine the rest as required.
- In the picture is a  small Albrecht chuck ( 0 - 1/8" ) shown for comparison to a keyed chuck ( which happens to repeatably hold drills accurately )
  so the distance to the tool post is minimized.
- The tool post will need to be oriented based on drill holder. I say this because you set the drill so it's parrell to the lathe center and then use
   the master tool to touch off. So the threading tool holder wants to be perpendicular to the lathe center. Just something to think about when your
  making other holders. That allows for tool changes in the program.

Have fun,
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
Just a tip.....

Drill and ream a deep hole ( say 1" with the tail stock ) into a finished piece of stock, with spindle off use a ground rod in the drill
and the tool holder somewhat loose, insert / adjust the drill holder and quick change. Allows for quick and dirty alignment
of the drill. Refine or use other methods to suite yourself......

RICH
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
Good tips Rich.;D

Another option for holding drills & reamers is a straight-shanked ER16 collet chuck.  I use a 5/8" shanked chuck which conveniently fits my AXA boring bar holder perfectly.  The ER16 stuff from CTC in Hong Kong is good quality & good value.  Takes 9-12 days to get to the USA but worth the wait.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Jfong

•  10 10
    • View Profile
7x12 Mini-Lathe converted to CNC
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 10:26:28 AM »
Great ideas Rich!  I like the drill holder.  Correct me if wrong but I thought lazycam/lazy turn was no longer being developed. Hate to drop any money on a program that will no longer be updated.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 04:57:39 AM »
Jfong,
Do not use LazyCam for the lathe, rather use Lazyturn. Lazyturn is free,has a manual, was a replacement for the LC lathe module.
It's not to be compared to the higher up programs like Bob Cad, Dolphin,etc but for profiles, it is quick and easy to use ie; a handle.

NFS has a lathe program which is economical in cost and uses wizards.

RICH

Offline Jfong

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
I downloaded lazy turn and it seems to work good but I like cambam interface a bit better. Both are much better than trying to write gcode manually.

Offline Jfong

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
Made this floating drawing pen holder out of UHMW plastic and steel drill rod. I used the lathe to turn down 1/2" rod to 3/8" to fit a ER collet. A spring is used to hold the pen down for uneven surfaces. I also made a slightly larger UMHW holder for bigger sized markers. Inspiration was from reading a Hackaday.com post about a neat DIY Spirograph machine. Drawing done on my gantry router I made last year.

http://youtu.be/5jd_TfeR4Fw