Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:46:21 AM

Author Topic: Mach-3 For a lathe  (Read 3638 times)

Mach-3 For a lathe
« on: March 17, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
Hello to all
 I am new to this forum this is my first post i ma interested in using Mach-3 for my CNC lathe i use the lathe to manufacture parts for my model company presently i am using another system i won't post the name here, a question for you present experienced user's what post processor will work for a lathe with Mach-3 (fanuc) i intend to do inside and outsaide turning threading ETC are there any problems i should be aware of before i start converting over any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Rg's
Dennis Fuente

Hood

Re: Mach-3 For a lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »
A post processor is used with a CAM programme so that the Gcode output is suitable for the control, so you will need a post processor to suit whatever CAM package you are using.
You may not even need CAM if your parts are fairly simple as Mach has quite a few wizards which just require you to enter a few dimesnions and the code will be generated.
Hood
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 06:29:47 PM by Hood »
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:20:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply Hood, i am aware of the need for a post processor as i also use a CNC Mill using another software, i am using my lathe with a current code processor but it doesn't accept all the code to run a lathe properly so in looking for something better i am looking at Mach-3 but reading some of the post on the site it seams there are problems with running Mach-3 for a lathe as well.
 I understand the people producing Mach-3 are coming out with a pro version and it will have a better lazy CAM for lathe operation my plan is to use either smartcam or master cam for the design end.

Rg's
Dennis

Hood

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »
Not sure what problems you have seen with Mach3 and Lathes but really I dont think there are any.
Please dont take offense if I am missunderstanding but from your reply I am not sure if you understand the diference between Mach and CAM and for that matter CAD programmes.
 Mach is the controller, it does all the calculations and  sends signals to your motors etc to make them do what the Gcode is asking for. There are also wizards in Mach which will produce Gcode for you, these include wizards for threading, taper turning, radius turning etc. You just have to enter dimensions into the wizard and the Gcode will be produced.
  LazyCAM which is bundled with Mach is a CAM programme, you need to import a drawing into a CAM programme and it will produce the Gcode for you which you then give to Mach to control the motors, spindle etc.
SolidCAM, MasterCAM etc are also CAM programmes.

To produce a drawing to import into the CAM programme you will need a CAD programme, examples of which are TurboCAD, AutoCAD and also there are 3D modelling programmes such as SolidWorks, Rhino etc.

Once again if I have misinterpreted your understanding please dont take offense.
Hood