Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:02:56 PM

Author Topic: Another lathe tooltable thread - boring and drilling tools  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Rimmel

•  208 208
    • View Profile
OK guys/gals, found Hood's great video and can set the tool table up with external facing, threading tools - GREAT  ;D

However struggling to set up boring and drilling tools.

Anyone got any solid tips?

thanks
Rim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Another lathe tooltable thread - boring and drilling tools
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
You can do a boring tool several ways, one is touch off the inside of a bore of a known dia or take a cut off a bore and measure in a simialr way to doing an OD tool.
Another way is, what I usually do, I use the tool I show in the vid, I hold a piece of tool steel against the OD and bring the tool in to touch the tool steel, see pic. I know the Dia of the material so that is the position I enter for X.

For a drill it is similar except you deduct  the radius  of the drill from  the dia of the material and that will give you the current position of the drills centre.
You could also touch the drill off the OD of the material and add the radius  of the drill if you preferred.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
Sorry the above regarding the drill should be subtract/add the Diameter of the drill rather than radius.
Hood

Offline Rimmel

•  208 208
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »
Ah I see, thanks I will give that a go.

thanks again
Rim

Offline Rimmel

•  208 208
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:52:58 AM »
Actually I was trying the first way you mention, but every time I set it up in the tooltable it was screwing my other tools settings up.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:10 AM »
Rim,
You can manualy enter offsets into the tool table if you know the difference from the master tool.

So one can just put the master tool at X &Z=0. Use tool#0 but with the master tool #1 in the holder (you can't change the offsets for tool #0). Using machine coordinates you can move as you wish away from zero and the DRO's show the  distance from X & Z=0. Note that in machine coordinates diameter is in radius uinits and that is true for the X offset in the tool table. Touch off with the drill or boring bar and now move  the controlled point ( ie; center of drill or cutting edge of boring bar ) to zero as the DRO's are showing the offset from the master tool.

I like to keep a spread sheet of the tool table and also run a macro to print out the current tool table.

Note that all the tools are related to the master tool and for that matter are also related to each other.

Just another way and you can't screw up the other tool settings. Just make sure you always use the master tool for set up.

FWIW,
RICH

BTW, MACH4 will have a nice lathe tool setting procedure when ever it becomes available.