Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:19:12 PM

Author Topic: ScreenSet Question  (Read 25955 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: ScreenSet Question
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »
Steve,
Idealy it would be nice if you could cut and paste similar to what you can do in Windows with documents or the drive directory.
I don't know how practical it is in for the GUI.

I think Terry asked about being able to copy items from another users screen easily.
So replies 55 to 59 are thoughts that are relative to that.

I haven't fooled with the Lua, since it has the info there ( still at the beach in Hawaii  :D ). Maybe you could provide some generic script to do the above at some level?

RICH

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Ok, to answer some questions...

Eventually, I had in mind the ability to shuffle the screen objects via drag and drop in the screen tree.  But in the interest in actually getting Mach 4 done, that went away for a future project.  The idea is to actually USE Mach 4 at some point for it's intended purpose!  :)  So we got the screen editor "functional".  And I have seen some AWESOME screens, so it is indeed quite functional.  Yes, it can stand some more bells and whistles, but they will come in time.  The motion plugins are the focus now though.

Also, there will be an import and export functionality.  The code is stubbed in right now.  I just have not turned it on or tested it.  But what that will allow you to do is export Group Boxes or pages.  Say a developer of some specialized hardware has a screen page that works with all of his gadgets on his device.  He can export that page and the user of said hardware can import that page into his screen set.  That is one example.  Another would be copying a page between two screen sets because we don't allow running multiple instances of the GUI.

Same thing for group boxes.  This is probably the better approach to use for "sharing" controls and functionality.  Because some screen sets (like the current Mach screen set) don't have multiple pages.

But like I said...  We are trying to get the motion controllers going at this time.  So all this may be a while.  But just to let you know where it will get to one day.

Steve
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
--Screen Load Script

fro=100

function froup()
    fro = fro + 10;
end
function frodown()
    fro = fro - 10;
end
function fro100()
    local inst = mc.mcGetInstance();
    fro=100
    mc.mcCntlSetFRO(inst, fro);
end

create the buttons, and on a button click put for each button one of the following
frodown()
froup()
fr100()

--now to work on the hot keys

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »
 HOT KEYS WORK  ;D just have to restart mach4 to get to work
--edited the SigLib section of the page load script
--added two hot keys in the config plugins keyboard option shutdown restart and then config mach plugin and associate each to input 1 and input 2

[mc.ISIG_INPUT1] = function (on_off)--mc.ISIG_INPUT1
        if( on_off==1 ) then
            -- On
             froup();
        else
            -- Off
        end
    end,

[mc.ISIG_INPUT2] = function (state)--mc.ISIG_INPUT2
        if( state == 1 ) then
            -- On
            frodown();
        else
            -- Off
        end
    end,
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
THANKS for these contributions Craig, all logged in my little (getting bigger) notebook.
Silly question:
  Why do you use (on_off) in input1 and (state) in input2 ?
... briefly, if possible.

Would either work in either instance ?

Thanks again,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2014, 11:09:17 PM »
Afraid I will have to wait for the easy method where you select a hotkey and a FUNCTION. Presto changeO

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for insight on future screen functionality. Answered my questions. ;)

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
GUYS all this IS great, it really is BUT that idea of having a CNC controller is for the CONTROLLER  to provide ALL the normal CNC machine functions without having to learn a new high order programming language and create the needed functions.

This is one of the failings of Linux/EMC . Most new generation or Jobshop operators need/want to cut parts NOT work on the machine all the time trying to get it to work correctly without a programming degree.

My thought was to have MACH4 come out with a good 4 axis workable screen set AND have the screen editor as an optional program for those that choose/need to do it.  That lowers the  cost of MACH4 for the hobby side and creates a second tier profit center for the Screen editor as an option.

LOOK at the other available Controllers on the market. They come with a nice useable screen set and normal CNC functions( and advanced functions) ready to use. Look at commercial controllers. I don;t think you  will see fully customizable screen sets .  THey GIVE you all the CNC functions and useable screens set THEN you learn how to use them and make parts.

You remember making parts right ???  Yes I know old dodgey codger running loose on the lips. But somebody needed to say it.

I am all for letting them have the time to finish MACH4 up as it should be, A great midrange controller for the times.

NUff said, Good Night, (;-) TP

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »
I wondered that too Russ but it was in the original signal script Brian provided so I thought id leave it to show, no discernible difference that I could tell under this application.

I too was pleased with Steve's post of what he envisioned the final screen designer would provide.

Terry if we provide some of the basic screen functions, experiment and share, the sooner Mach4 will be a reality. There are still a lot of motion control programming going on that might take some time (or you would be really "Fitchen a bitch" if canned cycles dont work). Having a community create what they envision and then share back will give all the basic screens the community is desiring. This Mach4 project, they (small team) took on, has taken them way, way more time then they prayed for. Id kind of like them to feel that we appreciate their huge task but we want it now.

Plus we get the damn thing done.

If nothing else your learning something new and that's never bad. You had to learn VB, brains, gcode, macro B (try learning A "what a pita that was")

Hopefully the examples posted will inspire you & others to experiment and provide more contributions.

Think Mach4 could be monitoring home/shop security thru a separate hardware unit at the same time your cutting chips. You just provide a functional way & screen for your own needs. Its not for every one, but this is 21st Century and these new kids do things a whole lot different than we use too.

Do they still have apprenticeships anymore? or is it just put them on the line and show em what buttons to push. Dont get me started on the way shops run.

But in the end I know your just pushing buttons for them to get it done ;) me too  8)
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
I wondered that too Russ but it was in the original signal script Brian provided so I thought id leave it to show, no discernible difference that I could tell under this application.

Maybe, being they are = to names of 2 different functions they just must not be identical ?

just a guess out of the wild blue,
Russ