Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:58:23 AM

Author Topic: Homemade CNC wood planner  (Read 2514 times)

Homemade CNC wood planner
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Hi,
I have a ski workshop with friend and I am looking for update on my customized wood planner.
You can look at the cnc planner in action in this video (at 01:00) : http://vimeo.com/79183029

I use this planner to make my wood-core thickness profile. The thickness profile define how the stiffness of the ski on the length.

I did mechanical adaptation on a commercial metabo planner. I remove the hand wheel and place a drive it with a servo motor.
In this king of machine there is an automatic material advance. So I place a wheel with an encoder to mesure the advance of the material.
So I have motorized X axis and a continuous advance on X axis that I can measure
Then I made a custom labview program to control the Z axis depending on the location of the material on the X axis. I have a relationship Z=f(X)

Can I do this with mach3? It means I need a configuration where the Z axis is slave of X axis. Is it possible?

I would like to change the software to be able to make complex thickness profile.
Re: Homemade CNC wood planner
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
Hello friend,
  If you could convert your feed roll drive from the cutter head motor reduction, and affix a servo motor similar to what you did for the thickness control, your possibilities with Mach3 would be astounding.
You could use any low level CAD/CAM to generate virtually any profile  and control the feed rates as well.
Multi-pass for heavier stock removal, Roughing then finishing passes . Jogging ..... on and on.

To track with your existing encoder wheel, I'm not sure, but probably is possible altho more complex ... for me anyway.

I like your nice clean shop !

Regards,
Russ
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
Nice machine!
If you define your machine like a Horizontal Milling machine in your CAM package you could define absolutely any profile you wanted, even profiles which would prove extremely complex to express where Z is a function of X,
Regards,
Nick
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
" I have a relationship Z=f(X)"

Mach3 has a formula function which may work for your needs.
See Function CFg's. > Formulas

John Champlain