Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:30:29 PM

Author Topic: Joystick setup  (Read 10724 times)

Joystick setup
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
Hi,

I've been trying to setup a game controller (PS3 Dualshock3) for 2 days now and still haven't got it fully working. Somehow I can't get the sticks to do something in Mach3, although they are working in keygrabber. So in keygrabber, when I move the sticks, the selection jumps to the right axis, and on the "Misc Settings" page, I can see the "Axis Number / Speed" fields changing. In Mach3 (started from keygrabber) nothing happens. When I assign the controller buttons in keygrabber or even the stick-triggers they immediately work in Mach3.

Anyone got an idea, what could be wrong?

Some details:
I'm pretty new to Mach3, but I understand the basics. My self made CNC machine is setup and jogging with the keyboards works. I don't have an encoder or any other external control connected, so I would like to use the game pad for this. When I setup the drivers for the game pad I had some troubles, because there is no original driver for it, only some hacks. At the moment I use an XBOX emulation driver through "Motion in joy", it was the only one that I could get working with keygrabber. I tried a lot of approaches to get this working. I've also tried the game pad plugin for Mach3, but this has weird bug: in continous jogging mode, it won't stop moving when you release the stick. My guess is, because it doesn't switch to "continous mode" in Mach3 (LED for "step" is on, all others are off). However when I switch per mouse to continous mode, the sticks work perfectly. The problem is when I forget to switch back before using the game pad, my maschine might run full speed into the limit switches.
So I decided to try keygrabber instead. I've deleted the default ".grab" file to start from scratch, the only changes I made was enabling the HID controller and assigning the axis on the joystick page (see attachment).

To clarify what my test process is:
Start keygrabber with its settings
Run Mach3 from keygrabber
Select Mill
When Mach3 is ready, I hit "reset" so it's not blinking
Then I try to jog with the sticks

Maybe I missed something there?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

Maik

Offline B3030

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: Joystick setup
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »
Did you ever get this to work?

I have a simple two-pot joystick connected to a Martzis 64 channel HID.  The HID buttons seem to always work.  However, the joystick will jog the X and Y axis but only after Keygrabber is launched.  I don't have to click anything in Keygrabber or make any changes, but as soon as its launched the joystick will jog the two axis'.  It will then work as I want it to until Mach3 is closed and re-launched.

I installed the Martzis Plug-in but it has no way yo configure the analog channels to jog.  It only has choises for feedrate and spindle speed.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

B3030

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 03:48:21 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying to setup a game controller (PS3 Dualshock3) for 2 days now and still haven't got it fully working. Somehow I can't get the sticks to do something in Mach3, although they are working in keygrabber. So in keygrabber, when I move the sticks, the selection jumps to the right axis, and on the "Misc Settings" page, I can see the "Axis Number / Speed" fields changing. In Mach3 (started from keygrabber) nothing happens. When I assign the controller buttons in keygrabber or even the stick-triggers they immediately work in Mach3.

Anyone got an idea, what could be wrong?

Some details:
I'm pretty new to Mach3, but I understand the basics. My self made CNC machine is setup and jogging with the keyboards works. I don't have an encoder or any other external control connected, so I would like to use the game pad for this. When I setup the drivers for the game pad I had some troubles, because there is no original driver for it, only some hacks. At the moment I use an XBOX emulation driver through "Motion in joy", it was the only one that I could get working with keygrabber. I tried a lot of approaches to get this working. I've also tried the game pad plugin for Mach3, but this has weird bug: in continous jogging mode, it won't stop moving when you release the stick. My guess is, because it doesn't switch to "continous mode" in Mach3 (LED for "step" is on, all others are off). However when I switch per mouse to continous mode, the sticks work perfectly. The problem is when I forget to switch back before using the game pad, my maschine might run full speed into the limit switches.
So I decided to try keygrabber instead. I've deleted the default ".grab" file to start from scratch, the only changes I made was enabling the HID controller and assigning the axis on the joystick page (see attachment).

To clarify what my test process is:
Start keygrabber with its settings
Run Mach3 from keygrabber
Select Mill
When Mach3 is ready, I hit "reset" so it's not blinking
Then I try to jog with the sticks

Maybe I missed something there?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

Maik

Hi, I have the same problem, How You solved the problem? thanks... I hope you remenber the triks...

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 03:38:14 PM »
I think I have this same problem also.

A couple of additional pieces of information.
- I'm running Windows 10. 
- I have to run KeyMapper as Administrator else it doesn't find my HID controller "SPEKTRUM RECEIVER"
- I've confirmed that KeyMapper is able to transform a 1 to a 2
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 11:43:30 PM »
Hi ed.slatt,
do you realise that the thread you posted to is nearly ten years old? Those respondents may have moved on.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 03:39:12 PM »
Hi Craig,  Yes I do.  I'm a hopeless optimist  :D

Do you know if Mach3 is still being maintained?  I've been using it once per month or so for quite a few years.  I'm trying to decide if it's time to move on to something else.  I hate to do it because it doesn't look like my ethernet smooth stepper is supported elsewhere..
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »
Hi,

Do you know if Mach3 is still being maintained?

All development on Mach3 ceasd eight years ago. The last bug fix was donated to NFS by MachMotion I believe, were it not for that I rather think Mach3 would have been screwed.

I hate to do it because it doesn't look like my ethernet smooth stepper is supported elsewhere..

Warp9TD's Ethernet SmoothStepper is and always has been a Mach ready motion controller only. The current Mach4 is very well supported and complemented by the ESS.
At this time there is no API for the ESS although there is plans for an API.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'