Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:55:10 PM

Author Topic: Emco Conversion  (Read 8986 times)

Art

Emco Conversion
« on: February 04, 2006, 09:19:47 AM »
Hi Guys:  

Many have asked for photos of the Emco conversion process I recently did, I thought Id show a few photso of the machine as it went together..

I cant figure for the life of me how to actually add a photo to the post so Ill add them as attachements ..

"APIs" shows the API drivers mounted into the place where normally the Emco has its main driver board.

"Mounted" shows the PDMX installed on the rear cover of the Emco. The PDMX fits nicely in there.

"PulleyPull" shows the primitive method I used to get the old pulley off the motor for attachement to the new motors. (Closeup of them in the next post..)

"Finished" shows the final product running and happy...

More on next post..only four attachment allowed on this one. :)

Art

Art

Re: Emco Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 09:20:59 AM »
Damn..no attachement...

Ill try again..

THis is the Drivers mounted...

Art

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 09:22:26 AM »
And th ePDMX installed on the rear cover. Fits nicely on there. Wires up easily...

Art

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:25:52 AM »
And heres the process of removing thos pesky gears from the old (and terrible) motors. These old motors wouldnt move my cat, let alone a lathe...

Art

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 09:29:53 AM »
And of course, with the old motors gone, you need new ones. These ones, by DeepGroove on Ebay are advertised at 420 OzIn.
I suspect they are around there, very powerfull at any rate, and they move the lathe with ease, no stalling is possible and I get the full
25Khz out of them when I use 10uSteps.
  You can also see in this photo the Quick Tool Changer post form Tim Goldstein at A2ZCNC.com. This thing makes it a dream to change tools and maintain
a tool table thats pretty accuate, fits the Emco well too. Quality ToolPost all the way. Tim does a great job with these, never used one before, Im a
devoted fan of them now...

Between the motors and the Toolpost, it made the toy into a newmachine..

Art

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:31:48 AM »
Finished Product. :)

Still havent had much time to cut chips yet, but Im enjoying the testing...

Art

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »
Lastly, One of the best things about an Emco Lathe is the control panel simple unplugs and unbolts form the unit so you
can disassemble it on a workbench.. Ever wonder whats inside an Emco??

Later, hope you enjoyed the photos..

Art

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 10:07:34 AM »
Looks like you're having lots of fun too!   :D

Bloy (John)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:42:59 PM »
Hi Art, is it possible to get the 24V wiring etc that you mentioned in another post. I'm considering replacing the emco drivers etc and your article and photos have been a great help.
thanks
Brent