Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:24:49 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Feature Request  (Read 424547 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Feature Request
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »
AND IF we had dedicated directories it would not be a problem either AND it would MATCH how main stream controllers do it (;-) HOW does A Fanuc do it or Haas or Mazak?

Moving about just to find the correct directories is not an easy task on a control panel without a mouse. This is not working in sheetsheets or word processors or playinjg games it is a serious machine tool with dedicated tasks.

Just as a reference no other controller I use does it that way.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »
I have one folder where I keep all my GCode. In that folder are sub folders for different product families. It is never that difficult to find the right file unless I go wild and try to load a file from the desktop then that is where it will go next time. The point being if you don't screw it up it won't be broken :)
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »
HIYA Jeff,

Just another case of you working for the machine instead of it working for you. (;-) With dedicated directories that the machine KNOWS where to go to or put things it is NEVER a problem to know where something is at. THere is no lost time wondering around in the desert trying to remember where something is at or where you were AT last time.

Like I said Les over at Sheetcam has it down to a science and it works exceptionaly well. Just like commercial controllers where every lost minute in the day cost you money.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:30:01 PM by BR549 »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »
Terry, the way I do it I am never more than two directory changes form any GCode I'm going to run. Since all product families are in their own subfolder it is very, very easy to find what you want. No lost time. Like I said unless you send Mach off into the wild blue it will always stay where you last told it to look. It is up to you to screw things up, or not...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
I created a Button to open and view the Gcode Manual using os.execute

os.execute ( "Notepad.exe C:\\Mach4Hobby\\Docs\\M4Manual.txt")

I could not get it to load the native PDF as I could not get "Fox it" to open/load the manual file so I converted the PDF back to a text. I up loaded the Manual Text file here IF anyone wants it

It is NICE to be able to edit the manual on the fly To correct anything I find that needs to be changed or added to.

I works VERY well   BUT , I did notice that if you are running Mach4 Gcode you cannot open the manual. If you do Mach4 looses focus and stops. When you close the Manual Mach4 then resumes running.

Is this to mean that Mach4 cannot multi task when running a program ??

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:26:38 PM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
HIYA Jeff, Probably not a big problem(though aggravating) for me as well BUT we are not the problem it is that red headed shop monkey that pushes the Big Green Button in the shop that it confuses beyond all means.

"I can't find the file that is the job package and I have been looking for 10 minutes for it. It must have just dissappeared POOFFFFF!"

Been there MANY times directing shop monkeys, (;-) TP

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
Nice idea!!!  But the os.execute stops the program that runs it (your button script) and waits for the called process to end.  I bet there is another way of doing that which won't "block".  I'll dig around.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 07:10:44 PM »
os.execute('start "Docs" "Notepad.exe C:\\Mach4Hobby\\Docs\\M4Manual.txt" ')

Try that.  You may need to provide the fill path to Notepad.  But that should not block the script.

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »
HIYA Steve, I tried it this way

os.execute('start "Docs" " C:\\Windows\\system32\\notepad.exe C:\\Mach4Hobby\\Docs\\M4manual.txt" ')

but I get an error saying windows cannot find  " C:\\Windows\\system32\\notepad.exe C:\\Mach4Hobby\\Docs\\M4manual.txt"

I do not know what the "Start Docs means. I have triple checked the path.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 10:42:42 PM »
I have a function button in mach3 that is a Gcode Load function BUT it looks at a directory of pictures (BMP) and then you can select the correct picture and it LOADS the GCODE for that part.

In SheetCam you can SAVE a picture(BMP) of the job to a directory.

OR take a picture (camera) and save to the directory

Is this possible in Mach4?

HOW about a barcode to load gcode function that is a BIG hit here in Mach3.

SheetCam can write the barcode if MACh4 can read it.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:45:51 PM by BR549 »