Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:01:34 PM

Author Topic: NEED HELP! GECKO G540 CAUSING MACH 3 TO CRASH  (Read 2194 times)

NEED HELP! GECKO G540 CAUSING MACH 3 TO CRASH
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
I had the machine configured and everything seemed like it was working just fine. The G540 was bought from Automation Technology Inc (March 2012) just before the rev 8 came out and Mariss said it was a Rev5 that I have. I had it sitting in my cabinet since then and only got it hooked up last week. I am running WinXP sp2 like I do on all my other machines with no issue. The problem occurs when I 1st start up Mach (Latest version) when the power has been off for a while. If I unplug the DB25 while start up, Mach never crashes, I can then plug in the db25 and take it out of Estop and it works just fine. If I have the db25 plugged in while powering up the computer and then start up mach I can't get it out of Estop and almost every time the computer crashes. I thought the PC might be the Issue. The port is configured properly in the Bios. I tried 2 other different brand PCs and same crap. I even tried older versions of Mach and no luck either. All the PCs are 2ghz+ and I have run the driver test it says it's excellent. Usually if I restart the PC again with everything plugged in and powered up it works the 2nd time around. I'm at my wits end with this. All my previous experiences when running stepper motors with Mach 3 have been with cheap China drivers and breakout boards. I bought the G540 as everyone kept telling me it's WAAAAY better than the china stuff I've been buying. I really beg to differ. I tried it with and without the charge pump and no luck. I've never had an issue with the cheap stuff ever it just worked from the start and keeps working. I'm hoping the g540 is not faulty and someone can suggest something that I might be just doing wrong. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

**also posted this at the cnc zone**

Dan

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: NEED HELP! GECKO G540 CAUSING MACH 3 TO CRASH
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »
Sounds like possibly a grounding issue between the PC and the G540 power supply.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
Re: NEED HELP! GECKO G540 CAUSING MACH 3 TO CRASH
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Spent 1/2 the day today trying to figure this out and I think I've solved the problem. The G540 doesn't like my Cydom Solid State Relay. I tried to use another new ssr and it seems to piss it off consistently.  Went to a 24v contactor and all seems happy now. :)