Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:29:19 AM

Author Topic: Bringing Up Mill  (Read 4230 times)

Bringing Up Mill
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question.  Several of you helped me get Mach 3 up and running last week.
I'm now trying to get it working with the mill.

I'm using a Campbell Designs parallel breakout board.  I've done the board testing and it passes fine.  Limit and home lights on the board are commensurate with lights in the diagnostics.

I'm using Rutex drivers.

Can't get it to jog.  No movement in x or y.  Z will move down and I can stop it.  After I stop it, the Z-motor begins a loud vibration.  I have to unplug the controller to get it to stop.

That's where I am presently.  Any advice for where to go from here?

thanks, rex
Re: Bringing Up Mill
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
I should add that jogging appears in the DRO's, but the mill doesn't move.

Using Rutex 2010 drivers.  I have buzzed all the wiring and it seems to be correct.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
Z moving down could be the encoder the wrong way, especially if it takes off at full speed.
The other axes are hard to say what could be wrong but sounds like possibly they are not enabled.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
Good one Hood.  I reversed the motor leads on the z-axis and it works correctly.  Leads are also reversed on x, so I'll try that next.  Y is connected correctly, but the y-direction on the mill seems to be mechanically locked and I cannot find any handle, etc that frees it up.  It's a Rong Fu RF-45.  Unfortunately I don't have a manual for it and can't find one on the net.
thanks, rex
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Reversed the x-leads, but still no go on x & y.  You mentioned they may not be enabled.  How do you enable each axis?  I've looked through the menus but nothing jumps out at me.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
It is in config/ports and pins/motor outputs. Check enable for each axis used.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
I mean physically enabling the servo drives, how that is done on the rutex I dont know. Normally on servo systems you will have an enable signal from Mach that connects to an enable input on the servo drive. When you come out of reset in Mach the drive gets the enable signal from Mach.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
The enable from ports and pins works.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
I'm in a bit of a downward spiral right now.  By moving Rutex boards around, I've been able to determine that at least one of them is bad.
However, now I'm at a point where the two y-axis motor drive lights on the Campbell board have gone out.  They used to be on in previous tests.  All x and z lights are on.
Any ideas?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:46 AM »
I dont really know about the cambell board but could the lights being out simple be you have changed the active state of some pins or maybe even you have just jogged in the opposite direction?
Hood