Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:25:12 AM

Author Topic: We're gonna build a CNC Plasma. Is THC needed?  (Read 2981 times)

We're gonna build a CNC Plasma. Is THC needed?
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
We're gonna build a CNC Plasma. Is THC needed?

Can we just use the "mill" functions? I had thought about configuring presets so my students could just plug in material thickness and go.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: We're gonna build a CNC Plasma. Is THC needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
I'm debugging my build now, I have not yet fitted THC but I have fitted a floating Z axis so it can probe the work surface before each cut and set a good height in the code, this part is working really well.

It's main use seems to be for adjusting the height if the work warps or is not flat, most of my stuff is small so flatness is pretty easy.

My main issue is rf interference from the arc to the PC.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
I'm debugging my build now, I have not yet fitted THC but I have fitted a floating Z axis so it can probe the work surface before each cut and set a good height in the code, this part is working really well.

It's main use seems to be for adjusting the height if the work warps or is not flat, most of my stuff is small so flatness is pretty easy.

My main issue is rf interference from the arc to the PC.

Good to know about the interference. Have you tried using optical isolators in your motion circuits?

We're only going to work with 2x2 material so hopefully warpage won't be an issue.

Thanks

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
The break-out-board is optically isolated but the best option i think would be for optical connection from PC to board, I think that is where my RF is getting in possibly.

My machine is only 600x600mm so similar to yours.

Some details here...
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/plasma-table-machine-building/7004-plasma-table-build-first-question.html
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
The break-out-board is optically isolated but the best option i think would be for optical connection from PC to board, I think that is where my RF is getting in possibly.

My machine is only 600x600mm so similar to yours.

Some details here...
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/plasma-table-machine-building/7004-plasma-table-build-first-question.html

Great build info.

I'm thinking of building a water type bed to catch all the nasty bits and maybe limit the smoke. I have an old cart that I think we can seal with silicone that would work great.

I currently working on the Miller Welding company on getting us a good deal on the plasma unit or just donating one to us.