Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:19:58 AM

Author Topic: Stepper Trouble  (Read 6840 times)

Stepper Trouble
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »
Is there a reason why, when I run longer g-codes, my steppers lose a few steps or go completely out of whack. One cut I did on a wheel started out very well and then lost about 20 steps on both the x and y axis. I re-tuned the motors and it seemed to help. Cut the whole wheel in a rough code and then started the finish code. About half way through, it dropped down about 2mm on the z axis.  I caught it pretty quick and I think I can repair it. Is this bad steppers or poor tuning?
Would there be a better section in the forum for this type of question? Feel free to move it. :)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper Trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
Probably poor tuning or even the micro step value is causing resonance.

Is everything mechanically in order. Gibs are too tight?

Did you hear the steppers stall or squeal when running the code?

Was it running well prior and this is a new problem? Or are you just getting started?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:09:27 AM »
Small error in steps per unit and small backlash can add up over a lot of axis moves and thus seems like loosing some steps or small
inaccuracy.

Completely out of wack can be due to incorrect vel or accel settings for the motors and work your doing. Additionaly inadequate motor torque can cause lost steps when making very small axis moves like what one would find in 3d machining.

RICH

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
I'm basically just getting started. Been playing with it mostly and just got some complicated codes to try out. This one has over 150,000 lines of code. The problem occurred about 3 hours in. I'm still having a little trouble with the e-stop tripping for no reason.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
  The Estop tripping is likely a debounce setting being too low or a ground issue. Have you applied any debounce (not index debounce). Maybe both.

It is complicated in the beginning (and even now in the not so beginning).
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
On large files, it is advisable to turn off the tool path display.  Some problems as you report can occur otherwise.
John Champlain
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
I was having a lot of trouble with the ground so I beefed it up pretty well. I didn't know there was a debounce setting, I'll have to look and find it. And, how would I turn off the tool path display?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
Diagnostics page.

Russ
 :)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:28 PM »
  I didn't know there was a debounce setting, I'll have to look and find it. 

Config. /  General Config.
Upper right corner.

Russ
 :)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »
What kind of setting should I try for the debounce?

Thanks to everyone for your help.