Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:47:59 AM

Author Topic: Turret tool changer and its set up?  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Turret tool changer and its set up?
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
   Presently I have a Dyna DM3000 lathe with a 6 position turret tool changer. I have had it running in a few different configurations over the years. Never really satisfied with each set up, mostly due to my lack of understanding of the options and how a professional lathe should be set up.

Inevitably someone comes along with a much nicer conversion and you realize the options you left out or misunderstood or figured out how to implement since the last assembly.

When I first got the lathe, I was given the tool change macro written by a generous forum user with the same model of lathe. The macro works fine however it only travels 1 direction, rotates in multiples of 60 degrees depending on which tool is requested and then backs up a few degrees into the pawl (that is screw adjustable for tool height).

All of the original literature on this lathe states that the tool changer is bidirectional. As I learn more, I see MRM on the zone dissect the tool changer and discover there is a 24vdc solenoid that can retract the pawl and truly allow bidirectional rotation. I now have an extra 24vdc power supply in my cabinet along with a relay just for that solenoid. My thought is that it will be wired as would any auxiliary feature such as coolant, mist, spindle etc. There are also a series of photo interrupters on the turret shaft but I am not sure of what they are, or are there for, just yet. I am guessing rotational verification or positioning of some kind.

So my question is this. How would I write a macro that can

A. Go the shortest distance to the next tool?

B. If going the direction against the pawl, to lift the solenoid during that directions rotation but let it activate upon the backing into the pawl?            I still believe the few degree back up will be required for repeatable tool height.

C. If you do understand what the other interrupters are for, please chime in.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:49:33 PM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Turret tool changer and its set up?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
Is it a stepper motor or just an AC or DC motor?
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Sorry Hood, the turret is a stepper. 200 step/1.8 degree.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:46:58 AM »
You could, in that case, take advantage of the setting in Mach that allows rotational axes to move via the shortest route on a G0 move.
Your macro would need to move the required steps which would be just a bit more than needed per move then have it move onto the pall with a further move. You would then likely want to have the macro reset the DRO to the degrees for each toolchange so that it makes it easier to work things out for the next tool change. What I mean is as you will be moving onto a pall it is likely that your stepper will stall and Mach will think the axes is actually further than it is, so if your macro resets the DRO to where it should be then it will work fine for the next tool change.

Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Turret tool changer and its set up?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »
That is kind of what I was thinking. I am really curious as to how to activate the solenoid at the correct time.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 04:08:43 AM »
That would just be in your M6Start Macro and would be in it at the correct time.

For example if your sequence was operate  solenoid, rotate, release solenoid, continue that is exactly how it would be in the macro.
Hood