Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 06:31:57 AM

Author Topic: Totally lost. New guy needs help  (Read 6492 times)

Totally lost. New guy needs help
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
I recently got a great deal on a Thom Carr Artrouter, it came with Mach3 but no CAD software. The computer runs on xp. I have searched and searched for some Free CAD software to play with so i can understand the basics before buying software. I cant seem to find what i need. I want to make some simple items to gain some experience, if I could produce a simple name sign i would be elated!
                             Can anyone suggest free, easy to learn CAD software and maybe point me in the direction of a good tutorial to get me from start to cutting? I had the machine set up by Thom Carr who has been very helpful even though I bought the machine second hand, I dont want to take advantage and keep calling him with every question. I wish I had someone near me to give me some lessons but I live in a tiny town up in the mountains and dont know of anyone in my area with such experience.
         I have a great deal of wood working experience and a full shop of wood and metal working tools but ZERO computer design knowledge and just a little above basic computer skills so I need easy!  Anyway if any of you can suggest some free CAD software and some type of online training I would be greatly appreciative!
Re: Totally lost. New guy needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »
I don't know about any free software, but I would highly recommend the Vectric software for what you are wanting to do. You can download trial versions of their gear and that will allow you to see if it's suitable to your needs.
I don't think the trial versions will let you save tool paths to cut, but all the programs have a very good toolpath viewer in them. So if you run the preview, what you see on the screen is what you get in real life.
They all talk to Mach3 and some have rotary capability as well.
I run VCarve Pro and recently aquired Aspire, which is their top shelf program. Aspire is a very powerful program that will allow you to do 3D machining.
Have a look through all their tutorial videos and that will give you a good idea of what can be done. When you buy Aspire it comes with a library of tutorials that you can save on your hard drive. They will be your friend while you learn the program.

You have a lot to learn, so let the fun begin.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
Hi Carl:

Draftsight is a free CAD software program for 2D work, with many video tutorials available online. It is produced by the makers of Solid Works, and is an entry into 3D CAD. The only requirement is to register your name and location. It will output DXF format files, which can be turned into G-Code by any CAM program. DraftSight is a full professional level CAD program produced by one of the premier engineering software companies in the world.

I use CamBam for creating G-Code from Draftsight. CamBam has a free-use period of 40 program uses, after which a license must be purchased. CamBam is very powerful, and has an excellent user forum to answer any question you may ask. There are no limitations in the free trial period.

Also, do not overlook the two semi-CAD/CAM programs available from Artsoft, at the top of the forum page. They will run from within Mach3, and are great for many simple kinds of shapes and general CNC machining problems using a clear menu driven interface. I think they should be in every MACH3 users inventory.

John
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »
Thanks guys! I got some time last night and tried "cadstd " and "cut2d", had great success with them and was actually able to cut a part. Felt great but I hope I can remember what I did and do it again! I took notes, that may help. I will keep in mind the software suggested but I'm going to play with these for a bit and try to learn.
       Do most software programs use the same icons, terminology, etc.? I'm kinda hoping I can transition to better software later without having to re learn everything.
              Thanks again for the great advice!

Offline JMF

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:39 AM »
I second mrprecise44's choices on CamBam and DraftSight, excellent software packages.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
I spent some time this morning cutting (term?) some designs that came in the Cut2d trial software, I got everything to work perfectly, it was cutting very nicely then stopped at 500 lines of code, thought I did something wrong until I realized I didn't have a liscenced copy of Mach3, only the damn demo! I guess my first software purchase will be Mach3. I also realized both the trial cam and cad programs won't save anything I draw. I'll try out a couple of the above suggestions next. I'm glad I got my machine cheap! I didn't realize or even consider buying software, bits, an articulated arm for my monitor (setting it on a shelf wouldn't look cool enough!) material to build a stand, hooking it to my dust system, etc. I'm sure I'll find a bunch more expenses but man is it fun! What other stuff will I eventually need?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 05:50:47 AM »
You will need a large bin for specials (otherwise known as scrap) a small area for displaying perfect examples, over time the sizes of theses can be reversed.

A swear box with a large capacity, useful for replacement tool purchases.

A swivel chair is always good for the long running jobs, plus a copy of popular hobby magazine.

Tea or coffee making machine, again this can be replaced with beer, wine, etc but only as experience allows.

An understanding wife, girlfriend, partner and bank manager are always an advantage.

;)  ;D  ::)
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Totally lost. New guy needs help
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »
GW covered it all! Get ready.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
It also won't be long before you need a bigger shop to contain the bigger and faster machine you'll want.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
I have the bigger shop, built one five years ago next to my house, it sits empty! No time to move!