Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:32:02 PM

Author Topic: Question about 2nd parallel port/extra inputs/hardware buttons.  (Read 3494 times)

I'm thinking about adding manual push buttons to my lathe to activate Cycle Start, Stop, Spindle, Coolant, etc, etc.  The lathe is controlled via the P/P.  I have on hand one of the add-on P/P cards that supposedly play well with Mach.  Haven't installed it yet...that agony comes later.  I've been reading about the many problems with that process but I'll face it when the time comes.

The question I have is it feasible to do this?  I assume I'll need a 2nd B.O.B. to accept the inputs from the buttons to feed into Mach.  I'll then need to learn what to do inside of Mach to make things happen when the buttons are pushed.  Don't need all the gory details yet, just a general idea if it will work and a rough outline of what is required.

Thanks in advance for any input ya'll may have. ;D
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Question about 2nd parallel port/extra inputs/hardware buttons.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
Sure, it will work just fine. You need teh 2nd lpt port then a SIMPLE bob just to bring the pins out so you can hook to them.

Then create a simple macropump OR brain to watch the pins.  The script will then do the function you set up anytime you press the button.

OR you could simply map those functions to an FKEY such as F12 then when you press F12 it happens. IF you are out of Fkeys then do an ALT/F12 or Cntrl/F12

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:29:56 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
Thanks for the input Terry, you make it sound so simple. ;)  "...create a simple macropump or brain..."  I have no idea what that means.  I'll be reading up on that stuff and will probably be asking a few questions later this year when I get time to tackle the project.

My goal is to have a setup that allows me to stick the keyboard & mouse somewhere out of the way while running parts.  The initial setup would most likely require using keyboard & mouse but I'd love to use buttons only when doing repetitious stuff.  Should have far fewer "Why the heck did it do THAT" moments.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
An easier way might be to get a device that sends keystokes, and just assign hotkeys to the buttons.
https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
Very interesting device Gerry; thanks!  Gotta do some studying up on that little gizmo.  If I'm understanding correctly, it will take hardware button inputs & send them to Mach via a USB port yet still leave the keyboard & mouse operable?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
Help is available, just ask. There are many ways to do it. The LPT push button version is VERY dependable. A brain for that is super simple. IF you install the LPT card set it up in Mach3 for INPUTS then you can add as many push buttons as you have input pins on the port. Then if you want to change its function one day just reconfig the brain. It is just a simple select the function process to change the brain.

Gerry's idea works also just a bit differently.

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I LIKE the sound of VERY dependable!  Looking around, I bumped into the PoKeys device which looks good too.  The price is not too  far off the I-Pac2 and the sub forum here has very good support.

From what I've read about 2nd P/P setup  issues, the other options look like they may have less installation misery although I can mess up just about anything.;)  Gotta do more research!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
I dont think anyone has mentioned this, a very easy way is to use the OEM Triggers. Just set the OEM triggers up to the port and pin you have each button connected to. Once you have that done then go to config menu then System Hotkeys and enter the OEM code in each of the OEM trigger boxes you are using.
For example if you have a button connected to port 2 pin 2 and you want to set it up as a stsrt button.
Go to ports and pins and set OEM trigger 1 to port 2 pin 2
Go to System Hotkeys and in the box at OEM  Trigger 1 you enter  1000. (OEM Code for Start)
That button will now be set up for Cycle Start.

Hood