Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:00:40 AM

Author Topic: Another newbe with a 3040Z CNC from China :(  (Read 41491 times)

Another newbe with a 3040Z CNC from China :(
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
Ok so I bought a 3040Z-DQ from ebay (I know) Im listing my problems and questions, the seller is just sending documents he does not even understand.

I have hooked this system up two three different computers (Dell GX620, Custom, Industrial PC), all of them have onboard parallel ports, I have tested them on both EEP and ECP settings in the bios.

The problem im having is like others, Cant get the 3 stepper motors to move with the keyboard (manual), well they will not move at all no matter how I try.

I have used the paper included in the box for settings, a pdf manual in the box (yes it has different settings), and another document the seller sent to test. I will list all the settings.

I did notice when I power the PC on and the Router controller the steppers lock (normal I think), as soon as I start Mach3 they all unlock. This is with all the settings and PC’s used.

I know there are lots of different controllers that are shipped with this setup, the one I have is the black box with T-D 3 axis controller

I’d like to get this thing working but I’m also asking for upgrade options, to change over to a gecko G540 setup. But first lets see if we can fix the controls I have now. I ran the port test in the Mach3 directory on all three computers and it passed (25000)

Setup from paper in box (labeled 3040T), I bought a 3040Z but the controller has TD on it. The Estop works with this setup.

Port 1 (0x378) Matches what I have in system settings
Kernal Speed 35000

Pin Setup
X Axis Step Pin 2, Dir Pin 3 (Step Low) Step Port 1, Dir Port 1
Y Axis Step Pin 4, Dir Pin 5 (Step Low) Step Port 1, Dir Port 1
Z Axis Step Pin 6, Dir Pin 7 (Step Low) Step Port 1, Dir Port 1
Estop Port 1, Pin 10, (Active Low)

Motor Tuning
X Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 2000, Acc 200, Step Pulse 3, Dir Pulse 1
Y Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 2000, Acc 200, Step Pulse 3, Dir Pulse 1
Z Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 700, Acc 100, Step Pulse 3, Dir Pulse 1

Setup from File on disk (labeled Desktop CNC Has pictures of the blue box controller), The Estop works with this setup.

Kernal Speed 25000

Pin Setup
Estop Port 1, Pin 10, Active Low

Motor Tuning
X Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 2000, Acc 200, Step Pulse 10, Dir Pulse 3
Y Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 2000, Acc 200, Step Pulse 10, Dir Pulse 3
Z Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 800, Acc 100, Step Pulse 10, Dir Pulse 3

Setup from Seller (labeled 3040Z-DQ)Estop does not work, unit does have a probe with it.

Kernal Speed 35000

Pin Setup
Spindle Step Pin 17, Dir Pin 1, Step Port 1, Dir Port 1
Probe Port 1, Pin 15 (Active Low)
Estop Port 1, Pin 13, (Active Low)

Spindle setup
Use Spindle Motor Output, PWM Control, Base Freq. 200, Minimum PWM 10%

Motor Tuning
X Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 2500, Acc 200, Step Pulse 3, Dir Pulse 1
Y Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 2500, Acc 200, Step Pulse 3, Dir Pulse 1
Z Axis Steps Per 400, Velocity 700, Acc 150, Step Pulse 3, Dir Pulse 1

That’s all the setup I have tried, I have tried all of them with the Kernal Speed at 25000 and 35000. No matter what I do the three axis will not move and the are free when Mach3 starts. Below is pictures of the controller I got with it, I cant find anybody with setups that have the same internals.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Another newbe with a 3040Z CNC from China :(
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
Lets try for a few things.

Does this machine have onboard spindle speed control? (1 of the boards appears so).

Have you ever run or set up Mach 3 successfully? Not a knock, just trying to find where the issue might be.

Good the steppers do lock at some point, most likely a setting in Mach.

I would stick with the 25Khz on the set up. Especially with your steps per unit settings as they are. I personally think there is a mistake there but routers are different beasts. My reasoning, you state your motors are tuned to 400 steps per unit. Most steppers are 200 step per revolution or 1.8 degree per step. I wouldnt imagine a 2x micro stepping to be very smooth as I have always run 10x. Nor would its theoretical resolution be very low. Somebody else might chime in on that.

Your pin assignments are typical for your steppers. I see no issue there. Not sure of the ramifications of the active low for the step and direction as I cant remember but none of mine are checked on my USB Smoothstepper/G540/Lathe profile.

Is "disable spindle relays" checked? I believe it should be (it is in mine)

On mine under "motor control", use spindle motor output is checked as is Step/Direction motor, PWM base is 5 and PWM minimum is 0%. This area has always stumped me and I dont know why. It could be vocabulary, I dont know. My spindle does work though.

Do you know how to turn your spindle on via the MDI line? M3 S750? for example (clockwise with a requested speed of 750rpm) Again not a knock just not sure of what you need to get going. I had no idea even after my machine was wired correctly. There is and was a bit to learn.

Keep posting.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

Im going to play with it a bit more after work today, Im not sure if the spindle can be controlled in Mach3, The control unit has an on / off switch and a speed pot to control it, As for my experience with CNC, Well none, this is my first, i do run a 3d printer but that's a completely different beast lol.

William

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
   Keep us informed.

Yeah I have the 3D printer too. It is a different animal though it uses the same GCode. I never hear of anyone hand coding it.

I will be happy to walk you thru what I know. I will pm you my number if you want to call.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
Ok so i have not made any progress, Here is where im at

Everyting off

Turn on the CNC Controls (Motors Lock), Turn the PC on (Motors Still Locked), Start Mach3 (Motors Unlock), Click reset and try manual moves (Nothing), Close Mach3 (Motors still unlocked), SHut down windows (Motors lock)

Mind how my mind works lol, Im not sure the attachment worked so i also left photo-bucket links.

I found this in the Mach3 manual

Here are the settings i used for this round, I took port pin reading in both states (With out Mach3 and With), Its how my mind works, Im wondering if there is a pin that needs to be enabled for this setup to work.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Another newbe with a 3040Z CNC from China :(
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
This is just a stab in the dark (I am mobile). How is pin 17 configured? Try enabling it. It is a charge pump. Some controller will not perform anything without the presence of that signal. It is worth a try. It won't hurt anything if it isn't set up that way. I just won't work, kind of like now.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »
Thanks Fast, Ill try that out tomorrow after work, I have been wondering if there is a pin i need to set some way to get it to work, The motors locking when the PC is on makes me thing the controller works, But just does not have all the signals it needs.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
As a test I just did a few things.
 First I turned on my controller, steppers have some resistance but easily turned by hand.

I then opened Mach, no change in steppers until I hit the reset (which was of course flashing since Mach was just opened). The steppers then locked.

Then I went in to configuration and unchecked my charge pump (in my case pin 16 port 1), apply, ok and the steppers went limp again. Of course I rechecked it as this was a test. I mistook 17 for 16 when I spoke before, though both are potential outputs.

Judging from your chart I suspect pin 16, active low unchecked (to keep the pin high I think) this voltage being high 3.35 or above has your steppers locked.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:08:15 PM by Fastest1 »

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:40:15 AM »
It looks that the pin 16 is the Enable pin. Try changing it's polarity in Ports and Pins.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
Is it normal to have the steppers lock when just the PC is on? Sounds like your system leaves your steppers unlocked until your in mach3 and the estop is reset.

Ill setup the output port tonight, I dont have any pins setup in that section, the instructions never said to lol, in inputs i have the Estop (working) and Probe (Working)