Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:05:40 AM

Author Topic: Old Dynapath System 10 upgrading to Galil CS 18420 ICM 2900 No idea on wiring???  (Read 51965 times)

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Steve/ Smurph

If controlling a spindle from Mach do you have to have an extra axis available on the card?
ie I have a 3 axis card running x,y z would I have to have a 4 axis card to control 0-10v output for the spindle?
The spindle motor will not have an encoder.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Yes, you need a spare axis to run the spindle.  However, if you only have a 3 axis Galil, you can control the spindle with other hardware or means.  A modbus capable VFD, for example.

Steve
So I read the mach manual , but I did not come across anything that explains how to configure the "brain" for my I/O's... Also, I was chasing wires today and I realized my machine has limit switches but the report only to the drivers, The dynapath just shows a fault in the servo that was tripped. So I guess I will keep this the way it is?

Starting the galil manual now.... YUCK..

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
There is a video that best describes brains.  Not all I/O needs to be handled by a brain.  Limits and homes, for instance.  And general inputs that can be mapped in ports and pins.

For your limits, the drives probably output the limit signal as well.  My Yaskawa drives are like this.  Limits are wired to the drives and the driives provide a signal to the Galil which in turn supplies a signal to the Plugin/Mach.  It is imperative that the limits are hooked up if you plan on homing with them.  If you also have home switches, then it is not as important.  But it would still be nice to look at the Mach screen to tell if you have hit a limit.  So wire them if you can.

Steve
No home switches, I can't figure out which wires from the drives amps send the signal of a hit limit, but there are still wires to be tracked... I was thinking of installing some home switches..
Ok, so the limit switch "talk" to the servo amps only. There are no other wires from the amps to the dynapath. But yet when a limit is hit the dynapath shows a fault for that axis, no mention of limit, just a fault. With the dynapath only connected to the amps via two wires +/- 10volts I have no clues where it gets the limit info???? My first thought of a solution is just to "T" into the limit switch wiring and connect it to the I/O board... Thoughts????

Next, I did a half-a$$ control where I wired the encoders and the servo control wires to the galil I/O, then turned on the dynapath to supply all other voltages needed for running the mill. I can control all three axis with mach3 (woohoo) but I'm getting no encoder information. The ports and pins are all checked to unable and the all of the ports and pins have a "0" for an address. Basically same as the servos. But nothing, the encoders are getting power and ground, they are also configured right for the "counts". Any ideas???

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
What drives are they?  Model # and make.  There has to be a way around that!  Hard to tell not being able to look at it and all...

Make sure that the motors are "enable" on the ports and pins screen.  No need to set step and dir pins.  Just enable them.

Steve

I'll get the amps info now. The ports and pins are enabled for the servos and encoders. But the encoders are not responding in mach3
Please excuse the rats nest. I cut all the zip ties to verify wiring..

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
http://www.ormec.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=upw7DE2FD8A%3D&tabid=168&mid=757

That is the manual for your drives.  It looks like you may need to wire the limits in parallel with the Galil.  :(

Steve