Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:20:51 AM

Author Topic: Old Dynapath System 10 upgrading to Galil CS 18420 ICM 2900 No idea on wiring???  (Read 51977 times)

I have a few post on here about my old Kondia K-76 CNC and Dynapath System 10. I recently won an online auction for a full Camsoft retrofit. Including touch screen, Galil CS18420 board and ICM 2900, and Camsoft professional. The Camsoft software is SUPER clunky compared to the Mach3 stuff. So I want run mach3 on the camsoft hardware I have mach3 and the galil plugin installed. I have no idea how to start wiring the ICM 2900 or how to select the active pins within mach3. Anyone want to help a super newbie????? Pretty Please! :)
No-one knows? I have figured out the encoders and I'm pretty confident in the other wiring, but I have no idea how to get the connecters and pins within mach3

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Did you get the machine running with Camsoft?
No, camsoft seams way too clunky. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
But did you actually get the machine to move with camsoft?
Are you running Servos or steppers?

I had a little experience with Camsoft. I finally got it to run pretty well with steppers on a bridgeport series rigid ram.
I had to do alot of tweaking within Galil Terminal.
The reason I did not stick with it was Camsoft wanted Thousands of dollars per year for licensing and there support people were very rude.   

I switched to a software called WINGCNC. Ran it for about 10 years.
After 3 years of my equipment being in storage I am now making the move to Mach3.
I do not have to worry about lost production time this time around.

I am finding it to be quite a challenge to  figure out using old Galil products and Mach3.
But it is not the problem of Mach for the most part. It is getting the old Galil stuff to work on newer OS.

I have on ISA bus machine and I can not get the 1740 card to register properly in XP PRO to save my A$$

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Yes... stepper or servo?

The pins pretty much are how you map the Galil inputs and outputs.  The pin map is in the Galil Plugin PDF.  Basically you find the input or output you want and look up in the PDF and you assign that pin number yo the Mach input or output signal you want to map it to in "Ports and Pins". 

The encoders are internally mapped, so don't do anything on the "Encoders" tab of the Mach config.  Just make sure the encoders are wired up to the ICM.  The AMPENA output on the ICM is also internally mapped.  It is actually toggled high with the Galil command "SH" and low with "MO"  The plugin issues these commands to the Galil appropriately. 

Steve
Thank you for the information!!

I have brushed servos and I have a good handle on the servos and encoders. I'm not sure on the other signals what type or how to communicate with the galil board.  Will I need to have a external power supply for the icm? I could not imagine the computer able to supply that much amperage.

Thanks again!!

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
The ICM can use the logic level voltages that are present on the ICM (+5 and +12).  There is LSCOM and INCOM which are the common rails of the limit switch inputs and the general purpose inputs.  I usually tie +24 volts from an external supply to these common terminals.  I do NOT recommend using the logic level voltages on mechanical switched circuits.  So 24v is pretty much mandatory.  This sets the circuit up for the switches to ground the circuit.  Each of the wires tied to an input or limit is then tied to one side of the switch and the other end of the switch is tied to ground.  Either normally open or normally closed switches can be used.  However, for safety reasons, I would recommend that the limit switches be the normally closed type.

The output wiring depends on if the ICM is opto-isolated or not.  If it is, it will have a -OPTO label on it.  You would then supply OUTPWR and OUTGND.  Read the Galil documentations for examples of wiring the output circuits.  i usually use the outputs to drive solid state relays regardless of if the ICM is -OPTO or not.  Then you can use the logic level voltages from the ICM to control the output SSRs and let the SSRs switch what ever voltages you need.

The general inputs and outputs (8 each on your 1842 board) are not used for anything special on the Galil.  They are merely there for machine I/O duty.  There is one exception, however, and that is the case of probing.  Inputs 1-4 also serve as the high speed position latch triggers.  So if you want to use a probe, do not use these inputs for other purposes.  The triggers are PER Galil axis.  Input 1 is for axis A, input 2 is for axis B, etc...  So if you are using Galil axes A, B, and C to drive Mach axes X, Y, and Z, then you will want to reserve inputs 1, 2, and 3 for your probe inputs.  Each input should be wired up to the probe so that a probe strike activates all of the inputs at the sane time. 

Steve
The ICM can use the logic level voltages that are present on the ICM (+5 and +12).  There is LSCOM and INCOM which are the common rails of the limit switch inputs and the general purpose inputs.  I usually tie +24 volts from an external supply to these common terminals.  I do NOT recommend using the logic level voltages on mechanical switched circuits.  So 24v is pretty much mandatory.  This sets the circuit up for the switches to ground the circuit.  Each of the wires tied to an input or limit is then tied to one side of the switch and the other end of the switch is tied to ground.  Either normally open or normally closed switches can be used.  However, for safety reasons, I would recommend that the limit switches be the normally closed type.

The output wiring depends on if the ICM is opto-isolated or not.  If it is, it will have a -OPTO label on it.  You would then supply OUTPWR and OUTGND.  Read the Galil documentations for examples of wiring the output circuits.  i usually use the outputs to drive solid state relays regardless of if the ICM is -OPTO or not.  Then you can use the logic level voltages from the ICM to control the output SSRs and let the SSRs switch what ever voltages you need.

The general inputs and outputs (8 each on your 1842 board) are not used for anything special on the Galil.  They are merely there for machine I/O duty.  There is one exception, however, and that is the case of probing.  Inputs 1-4 also serve as the high speed position latch triggers.  So if you want to use a probe, do not use these inputs for other purposes.  The triggers are PER Galil axis.  Input 1 is for axis A, input 2 is for axis B, etc...  So if you are using Galil axes A, B, and C to drive Mach axes X, Y, and Z, then you will want to reserve inputs 1, 2, and 3 for your probe inputs.  Each input should be wired up to the probe so that a probe strike activates all of the inputs at the sane time. 

Steve

Thank you Steve. the ICM 2900 has no -OPTO labels So I guess I need to set up some sort of relay rack for the higher amp stuff. Now if I only knew what that stuff was.... lol

What type of power supply should I be looking for? one of the wires goes to a box that says 24v dc so I know I will need that... Will a computer power supply work?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Just to let you know the white label that has OPTO on it is very small it is just next to where ICM-2900 is printed on the case.
Also in doubt you can open the ICM and check to see if the IC Chips are in place in the OPTO slots.

Check the attached PDF