Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:59:36 AM

Author Topic: Saving Mach3  (Read 4552 times)

Saving Mach3
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
Hi,
I have a problem in saving changes in Mach3. I make a change such as changing from inches to millimeters in the Settings screen
but next time I open Mach3 it has reverted back to inches.
I know that there must be something very simple that I am missing, but it is annoying to keep resetting everything.
Other than that everything works fine and I have cut some very good pieces
Please can someone help a newbie.
Eugene.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
If you want mm as default then it is best to set it up as that from the Config menu. You will however have to redo the motor tuning  steps per unit etc. to mm if you have them set in inches at the moment.
 If however you want to have your machine set as imperial (Inch) for motor tuning and tooltables, offsets etc but want to run metric code then just have a G21 at the start of your code or you could put G21 in the initialisation string (Config menu then General Config)

So really it all boils down to what you will be running most of the time and what you want your offsets etc in, mm or inch.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »
Hood,
Thanks for your reply, but I think that you misunderstood my question.
I do not only want to change from metric/imperial, but I cannot get the program to save any of the parameters that I change.
I change something and press apply,but next time I open the program, it has reverted to the original settings.
Regards,
Eugene.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:44 AM »
Metric or Imperial will be reset to your default on a restart of Mach to whatever your default is (config menu the default units). You should get into the habit of having a G20 or a G21 at the start of your code and that way if you forget to change then the code will do it for you.

If there are other settings that change then it could be because they are defaults on restart but if they are not then check that your xml is not set as read only. What are the settings that reverst?

If I am still not understanding please try and explain a bit more as I am one spanner short of a toolbox ;)

Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
Hood,
You seem to be a very comprehensive well stocked toolbox.
You solved my problem, without even trying.
As you said the html folder was set to read only. I knew that it was something very simple
Thank you for your expertise. in solving my problem.
Regards,
Eugene.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
If you want mm as default then it is best to set it up as that from the Config menu. You will however have to redo the motor tuning  steps per unit etc. to mm if you have them set in inches at the moment.
 If however you want to have your machine set as imperial (Inch) for motor tuning and tooltables, offsets etc but want to run metric code then just have a G21 at the start of your code or you could put G21 in the initialisation string (Config menu then General Config)

So really it all boils down to what you will be running most of the time and what you want your offsets etc in, mm or inch.

Hood

Does this mean on a Imperial machine all you have to do is a G21 and Mach will do all the metric conversion for you? Or should I say Mach will run the metric code in metric units even though my machine is set for Imperial units? Thanks again Art  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:03:00 PM by artman12us »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:16 AM »
Yes that is correct although there does seem to be an issue if it is the other way, ie metric setup running imperial code. There seems to be an issue with the offset positions when switching back. As far as I know this is only on metric machines when running Imperial code and not the other way around.
 The other option is to have two profiles, one metric and one Imperial.

Hood