Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:19:01 PM

Author Topic: Newbie with new 6090 needs help...  (Read 8616 times)

Re: Newbie with new 6090 needs help...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
Thank you fastest. I did not get the BOB from automation tech, it came in the machine. I found some info on the board from various sources. It looks like the voltage differential of +-1.4v between the BOB 5v ps and the parallel port 3.3v ps is keeping the logic at the parallel port pin high except for intermittent pulldown as seen on the Mach3 diagnostic screen Motor1 Home light when it flashes once every 10 seconds or so. I am going to go through my bin of old cards to see if I have a parallel port card that works at 5v. If not does anyone know a way to make the 5v and 3.3v compatible?

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Newbie with new 6090 needs help...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »
Are you running a resistor on that proximity switch? It would appear so by the 5.2-0 differential. Not sure of why you pick up 1.46v.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
Thanks for helping,

The inputs are opto-isolated. I think the BOB 5v supply (switched hi-lo by the opto-isolator) and going directly to the parallel port pin (which is seeing 3.3v from the pc) is where the differential is. 5v - 3.3v = +-1.7v difference. So at low the parallel port never sees below +-1.4v., probably near the hi-lo threshold which would explain why it is not triggering. The 3.3v parallel port supply & the 5v BOB supply have a common ground.

Just a theory until proven.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Newbie with new 6090 needs help...
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »
Your theory sounds about right.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 04:18:25 PM »
Well it was problems with the BOB. I traced the signal paths and found that Hex Inverter chips and the analog multiplex / demultiplex chip were bad.

Scott at CNC-Warehouse sent me a new USB BOB, the AKZ250. Thanks Scott! I have been able to get the steppers, spindle, home switches and limits set up and working.

Thanks for all the help (Fastest). I'm sure I will have more questions / issues, but at least now I am progressing.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »
WooHoo!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »
Hi all
Sorry to but in to this conversation, but I think I may have have the same problems. I my case, it was a ground voltage difference issue. I was getting a 2.3-3.2v difference in ground voltage between PC and drive board IO. It caused all sorts of these issues with random home switch triggers. I could not get an accurate home position for love nor money. It turns out that the optoisolator trigger voltage on my board was 2.4-2.5v, so as the ground voltage wavered, I was getting intermittent trigger signals for the home switches. The real problem turned out to be that I was running a switch mode power supply to the drive, which does not ref the main ground zero voltage. This allows it to run up to +/- 3.7v from supply ground, depending on supply frequency variations.
The simple answer to all of this is to run an optoisolated IO board. The optoisolation should generate the required 0-5v switching required for general logic transfer on both sides of the voltage difference.
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Matt
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 06:21:15 AM »
OK sorry, didn't see the last few posts. Ignore me :)