Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:47:31 AM

Author Topic: SAVING WORK LOCATION  (Read 3802 times)

SAVING WORK LOCATION
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
once i set my work in the middle of my vice or chuck, can i save that location
because the last time i used it i had to find the x and y each time i turned on mach, is there a way other than just once i find it move away say in x4. and y4. and just remeber and move that much once i turn it back on
same for tool zs

is there a way or must i find my work and tool zero each time i boot up mach

thanks in advance
Re: SAVING WORK LOCATION
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
unless you have home physical limit switches, you will have to continue your search for repeatable results.

I suppose you could drive your axis to the end stops (X- Y- Z+) and call that the machine (G54) 0,0,0 then;
Once you find where you want the 0,0,0 position to be for your vice or chuck use a dedicated work offset (say G55) zero the new location. Don't forget to save the work offsets.

Then everytime you Boot up, you move your drives to the end positions (X- Y- Z+) and call that 0,0,0 choose the saved the work offset (G55) and then it knows where the vise or chuck was from the last time. Not advisable, but why not try it. Cheaper than adding limit switches, lol, just not as repeatable. Would not rely on accuracy but it might be good enough for your needs.

Kind of why we use home switches.  :) everything is relative to a known location and we always home a machine on startup or after heaven forbid a crash.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:13:01 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
those are nice but i dont know how to install and them and all that
anyways looks like it is what i was affraid of

ill just make it go x n y 0 then turn it off, it doesnt gotta be within microns, its for milling wax so just gotta be in the center of stock and ill be happy
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
Your other option is to go to the same location everytime you shut down and then when it boots up make sure the DRO read the same values. Not precise due to the fact that when power goes off the positions might jump just a little or axis's might move when no power is applied to the drives. I have tried going to 0,0,0 and then shutting off and then starting back up. But my encoders on the standalone DRO readout have shown a jump on shutdown. So you can not really rely on it holding location.

Adding home switches is easier than you might envision. Its a process, do one at a time. Lots of references can be found on this site. You'll be thrilled when you see your machine head for home on hitting the HOME button. Remember you don't need to add limit travel switches too, just a location switch it uses to reference a position you call home.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
thats exactly what i was talking about doing, centering then turning off

im really not that mechanically inclined of a person, perhaps if i had the time but i remember for weeks i was researching machine building and im just not up for it,machines not going to be moving hardly at all off x and y anyways this machines just going to cut wax ring models
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
Then I'd advise you to check it a few times, confirming how far it does move, if it is consistent you might beable to fudge the DRO's after startup. Cant believe it would be repeatable using micro stepping.

Or you might try to move to a clamp position of the tool using the vise or chuck. Tighten it up, then shut the machine down, when it starts up it has to be in the same location. Crude but I bet relatively repeatable, depending on the machine mass.

Just make sure you loosen the vise or chuck before moving in Z+
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:30:59 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »
To be accurate you will need to touch off each time you restart Mach. That is just the way it is if you don't have switches.
Don't rely on using soft limits to do it for you.

If you have MPG's you can touch off quite quickly with some experience, but still is longer than if you had switches.
RICH
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »
One of the less expensive DIY/Hobby probes might be an option.
Not much mechanics to do .... just hook up to an input. And load a probing routine.
To each his own I guess,
Russ

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
SAVING WORK LOCATION
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
2 wires and placing a check in the enable box of the input config screen is work? You will love the results.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)