Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:21:55 PM

Author Topic: New to Mach 3  (Read 3360 times)

New to Mach 3
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »
Ok so I have downloaded the manual,. all 106 pages of it,. I received a computer with my CNC machine with Mach 3 already on it. I think everything should be set up for me. I seriously dont even know where to start though! Did everyone learn from the manuals? I tried watching one of the vids and I got really confused. I just want to learn how to set up zeroing and make my first cut. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: New to Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
I think most people learn just by messing around with Mach and referring to videos or manuals when they dont understand something.
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
New to Mach 3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »
So, have you ever machined anything via CNC? Do you know what GCode is or how to use it? There is a bit to learn. It isn't just pressing a few buttons and everything starts to move correctly. Well it could be, but most of us weren't that patient.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:28:45 AM »
Did everyone learn from the manuals? I tried watching one of the vids and I got really confused.

Everytime I read a manual  continue to discover what is forgotten or find something that now has importance.
Even the manuals or stuff written by myself. ::)
Actualy you have to study the manual.

Thinking back, would say that the best recomendation would be to buy "CNC Programming Hanbook" by Smid.  Then
play with the machine and Mach for experience.

Vidoes are great, but, they are too fast to comprehend sometimes.

FWIW,
RICH
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
I watched tutorial 3 last night a few times and did a 'dry' run with no router. Couple of things happened,. first time the gantry got bound up for some reason,. like the left and right side were out of sync,. it was weird,. but got past that with a restart,. then the second time there was a soft limit warning and then it stopped on a second pass,. Pretty sure I still have lots of configuring to do to get up and running,. but I think dry runs are going to be good to get the practice I need. :)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
Ron the owner of Velox CNC is meeting with me on Saturday to give me the run down and show me how to use Mach3. Great guy for helping me out. Gonna make my first cut on Saturday :)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
New to Mach 3
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Nothing like having a mentor. Great he is helping.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)