Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:16:42 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys and G320X Gecko servo drive  (Read 8454 times)

Pokeys and G320X Gecko servo drive
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »
Hi all

Been playing with Pokeys and VB.net doing the basics like relays,  inputs/outputs and timing . That is going fine but now I am interested in driving some servo's

I have some Gecko G320X's servio drives and would like to hook this up to my USB pokeys. Wondering if anyone has experience with this or can point me to a tutorial on how it is achieved . Noticed the encoder functions in the example code .

I'm not using Mach 3 , rather driving it all with VB.net . Any doc's , wiring diagrams or tuts would be appreciated ).

Thx ))

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Pokeys and G320X Gecko servo drive
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
Hi, Hasher

You have two options to drive a servo with PoKeys device - with a servo driver (with your Gecko servo driver) or directly with PoKeys with external power switches.

Gecko servo driver accepts STEP and DIR signals which PoKeys can provide via integrated Pulse engine. This feature must be activated first for your device - send the serial number of your PoKeys device to support@poscope.com in order to obtain the activation number.
For example on how to use the pulse engine, see the Example_PulseEngine in the VB.NET examples folder.

To drive the servo directly, take a look at the PoBlocks - it is a free small PLC that is already integrated into the latest PoKeys firmware. You can easily construct the logic for a simple servo driver that will be executed on the device itself. If needed, you can use PID block that is already supported by the firmware.
Regarding the wiring:
* wire the motor encoder to pins 1 and 2 and enable fast encoder for these pins (via PoKeys configuration software).
* wire the motor to dual half-bridges and connect the input of those bridges to pins 17 and 18 (pins with PWM output)
Then, in PoBlocks, use Encoder block to read the value of the encoder and PWM outputs to drive the motor.

Regards,
Matevž
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:13:24 AM »
Thanks yet again Matevž

Got my Activation number off pokeys support, but i fail to see the pulse engine example folder anywhere in the example code.
Would you have a link to to it.

Thanks
Paul
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
Hi NeoTo ,

Getting back onto this project . Just wanted to know if there is different  PoKeysDevice_DLL.dll for the Pulseengine example? I believe I have the latest PoKeysDevice_DLL.dll

Getting errors like
Error   1   Type 'PoKeysDevice_DLL.sPoKeysPE' is not defined.   C:\Program Files\PoLabs\PoKeys\Development\VB.NET\Example_PulseEngine\Example_PulseEngine\frmPulseTest.vb   6   19   Example_PulseEngine

Error   4   'GetOptions' is not a member of 'PoKeysDevice_DLL.PoKeysDevice'.   C:\Program Files\PoLabs\PoKeys\Development\VB.NET\Example_PulseEngine\Example_PulseEngine\frmPulseTest.vb   26   9   Example_PulseEngine

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
Try removing the existing reference to PoKeysDevice_DLL and adding a reference to the same dll in the c:\Program Files\PoLabs\PoKeys\ folder.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
Hi NeoTo

I am playing with the Gecko attached to a Pokeys driving servos. For the X axis I have the direction on pin 38 and Step on pin 46 as per the manual. But how do I set Home and limit switches in code or are they preset pins like step and direction ?

Thanks
Paul

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »
Hi, Paul

The new pulse engine v2 has fully configurable switches. Please send me mail to matevz@poscope.com and we will get you an example on using it.

Regards,
Matevž