Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:20:50 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 and Gecko540  (Read 6186 times)

Re: Mach3 and Gecko540
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »
Hey Fastest1 and Jeff,

The new Gecko controller is in.  

Can I tie this power source in directly?

and

I've bought pre-wired cables - what wires on the new cables should be attached to which coming out of the motor?

Joe

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Joe,

First of all, yes the power supply can be used. The picture is odd. It appears to have a dual output on the transformer as indicated 18v (yellow pair) 36v (white pair). You want the 36V, higher (up to 48v would have been better IMO but these are minor differences, I would have also chosen a dual voltage in either 48 & 5v or 48 & 12v).

Anyway if you follow that white pair on the transformer, they go to a rectifier or regulator module. It should be clearly marked + and - on the output side. The voltage in the transformer is AC until it goes thru this module. Those 2 will be the voltage supply for the G540.

Regarding the steppers. The pictures are odd. Is it only a 4 wire? Can you show how and where it was hooked up originally? Your prewired DB9 came with a 3.5k resistor soldered in?

Wires 6 & 7 (green and white according to your diagram) are B phase.
         8 & 9 (red and black) are A phase.
If you have a meter, you can test which pairs are common to each coil on your stepper. Otherwise the Chinese unknown stepper are difficult to guess. No harm will be done either way on the stepper. It will either work or not. It might go the wrong direction but that can be changed in the settings.

Btw use wire nuts to hook them up temporarily til operational.

This article might give you a little more insight.
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0AEE7B9AD4B3E04186256ACE005D833B
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:03:46 PM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
Any luck?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Eli

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
I bought a package, G540 motors and all just because i did not want what you went through. But with all that I find that both Mach and Gec0drive have a limited amount of manuals to help people like you and me. I had a Carve wright before and it came with hundred of pages of information that made it easy to locate an answer fro just about anything. I was not happy with the quality of the finished product and sold it. Now i feel inferior when I read all the knowledge many of the answers I read Eli

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 11:33:20 PM »
   This topic is more complicated than it appears or you desire it to be. You are not alone. When I started, I thought it would be simple like pressing a few buttons, actually to tell the truth I really didnt think as much as I wanted a finished part.